Fully automated rooting script

Everything about rooting Toons 1 and 2.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

jant90
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Fully automated rooting script

Post by jant90 »

TheHogNL wrote:So yes it seems that the tranfering fails. It now has a timeout of 60 seconds and before that it should already have been finished.
Could you check the wiring for bad connections (they seem to be wired ok, but give too much errors i think)?
I tried different wires, same result. Maybe it's an issue with the cheap CH340G chip USB to TTL device?

Anyways, I just ordered a RPi, I hope it arrives tomorrow so I can finally root this thing haha. My old thermostat is getting annoying :P
wiring.jpg
wiring.jpg (292.46 KiB) Viewed 6928 times
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

jant90 wrote:
TheHogNL wrote:So yes it seems that the tranfering fails. It now has a timeout of 60 seconds and before that it should already have been finished.
Could you check the wiring for bad connections (they seem to be wired ok, but give too much errors i think)?
I tried different wires, same result. Maybe it's an issue with the cheap CH340G chip USB to TTL device?

Anyways, I just ordered a RPi, I hope it arrives tomorrow so I can finally root this thing haha. My old thermostat is getting annoying :P
wiring.jpg
Owh.. but you have with boot-only access to your toon already. You can do the payload thing by hand also :)
Member of the Toon Software Collective
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Just copy paste this in the shell when you are in --boot-only
This script will do the rest for you (see it as a new kind of payload):

Code: Select all

echo "(echo \"+++Starting rooting your toon!+++\";while ! curl -Nks http://qutility.nl/root-toon1 ; do echo \"echo 'Waiting for internet'\" ; sleep 10 ; done |sh)&" > /etc/rc5.d/S99dropbear-install-and-root.sh
/etc/init.d/reboot
jant90
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by jant90 »

ToonRooter succeeded on the first attempt with the RPi so I'm happy now. Thanks for all your help! :D
Peter1612
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Peter1612 »

I rooted a few toons succesfull.
but now i have a toon where its keeps hanging on:

INFO:rooter:Waiting for Toon to restart

I tried and checked the wires a few times, they are rightfull connected.

The toon boots normally when the screen is attached.
Also installed openocd again to make sure thats not the problem.
Anyone have some suggestions?
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Peter1612 wrote:I rooted a few toons succesfull.
but now i have a toon where its keeps hanging on:

INFO:rooter:Waiting for Toon to restart

I tried and checked the wires a few times, they are rightfull connected.

The toon boots normally when the screen is attached.
Also installed openocd again to make sure thats not the problem.
Anyone have some suggestions?
Is there any input on the serial line? Maybe serial is broken.
Peter1612
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Peter1612 »

Found the problem. One of the WiFi connectors was turned and touched the metal. Turned it back and it worked like a charm.
toontoon2
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by toontoon2 »

Today I rooted a toon, and for some reason the toonstore has 0 apps
Refreshing doesnt work either.

tried rooting another Toon, same issue.

Is this a known problem?
Feels like it is a bug somewhere.

The toon is running 5.33.9, updating to 5.39.7 doesnt solve the issue.
Reran rhe script with -f, didnt work either.
TerrorSource
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TerrorSource »

toontoon2 wrote:Today I rooted a toon, and for some reason the toonstore has 0 apps
Refreshing doesnt work either.

tried rooting another Toon, same issue.

Is this a known problem?
Feels like it is a bug somewhere.

The toon is running 5.33.9, updating to 5.39.7 doesnt solve the issue.
Reran rhe script with -f, didnt work either.
There's a seperate topic for that issue:
viewtopic.php?f=104&t=13085
annebob
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by annebob »

Hello everybody i am Bobby, and i am new here.

I found this place because i want to connect a Toon 1 to Domoticz and see where we will end.

I am trying to root the Toon for 3 evenings now and cant find what is going wrong, i search the forum very much. i hope someone can tell me what i am doing wrong.

i have done the automated script at least 50 times and the stupid thing is, yesterday i ended at yout toon is rooted. i tried to connect SSH but no luck there.
i read that in the process the root password was also visible in the console. so i thought just root again, and every error is coming back again.

i also tried to do it manual but stuck at the same error.

Error: DCC write failed, expected end address 0xa1f28a68 got 0xa1f28a40
Error: timeout waiting for SYSCOMP & DBGACK, last DBG_STATUS: 14

This is a Toon1 with R10 i am trying to root with a rpi4
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

annebob wrote:Hello everybody i am Bobby, and i am new here.

I found this place because i want to connect a Toon 1 to Domoticz and see where we will end.

I am trying to root the Toon for 3 evenings now and cant find what is going wrong, i search the forum very much. i hope someone can tell me what i am doing wrong.

i have done the automated script at least 50 times and the stupid thing is, yesterday i ended at yout toon is rooted. i tried to connect SSH but no luck there.
i read that in the process the root password was also visible in the console. so i thought just root again, and every error is coming back again.

Sounds like bad cabling.
SSH isn't working or you get the prompt, but you don't have the password? The script also generated id_rsa and id_rsa.pub files so you can use hem to authenticate. But probably they have been overwritten now by the new attempts.
annebob
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by annebob »

TheHogNL wrote:
annebob wrote:Hello everybody i am Bobby, and i am new here.

Sounds like bad cabling.
SSH isn't working or you get the prompt, but you don't have the password? The script also generated id_rsa and id_rsa.pub files so you can use hem to authenticate. But probably they have been overwritten now by the new attempts.
Hello TheHogNL

I did get the prompt but even if i started ssh from the PI that holded the rsa_id`s there was the question for the password.

I rewired everything, and use my multimeter to test every connection between the Toon1 and the raspberryPi4
every connection is OK en connected.

i still get the same result. what can go wrong. the funny thing when i started the rooting by hand it sometimes i thought it would get a bit further but stopt yet again.

is there something i can do to test something to see where it goes wrong?
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Did you already try recompiling openocd?
Further I have no idea. This is just openocd failing and can be many things.
annebob
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by annebob »

TheHogNL wrote:Did you already try recompiling openocd?
thanx for your response,

Sometimes you have those moments that everything seems to work against you.
just before i would give up for today i reinstalled the openocd en toonrooter after removing both folders.
and to my suprise it started and got right to the moment it was saying: INFO:rooter:Your Toon is now rooted. Please wait for it to boot up and try to log in using SSH

YES YES YES. i wanted to copy the whole screen of Putty so i could search back for the password. instead of "copy all" i hit "clear scrollback" NO NO NO.
so the first thing i did was copy the rsa keys to a different folder, just in case.....

without touchin anything i started the auto rooter script, and unfortunatly id stopt at the same error i showed above. and now 1,5 hour later i`am done.

i cant root the Toon, same error over and over, and SSH does not seems to work, i tryed the next command: ssh -i id_rsa root@192.168.2.66 and resulted in an error with the next line :
RSA key fingerprint is SHA256:oMoMRnxjjph6eJ0jI3gZTrzXNCSxPg+3VFp9OVkrDW8. and asking me to login but then i need the root password and that one has been deleted.

am i missing something? am i doing something wrong to login to SSH?
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

annebob wrote:
TheHogNL wrote:Did you already try recompiling openocd?
thanx for your response,

Sometimes you have those moments that everything seems to work against you.
just before i would give up for today i reinstalled the openocd en toonrooter after removing both folders.
and to my suprise it started and got right to the moment it was saying: INFO:rooter:Your Toon is now rooted. Please wait for it to boot up and try to log in using SSH

YES YES YES. i wanted to copy the whole screen of Putty so i could search back for the password. instead of "copy all" i hit "clear scrollback" NO NO NO.
so the first thing i did was copy the rsa keys to a different folder, just in case.....

without touchin anything i started the auto rooter script, and unfortunatly id stopt at the same error i showed above. and now 1,5 hour later i`am done.

i cant root the Toon, same error over and over, and SSH does not seems to work, i tryed the next command: ssh -i id_rsa root@192.168.2.66 and resulted in an error with the next line :
RSA key fingerprint is SHA256:oMoMRnxjjph6eJ0jI3gZTrzXNCSxPg+3VFp9OVkrDW8. and asking me to login but then i need the root password and that one has been deleted.

am i missing something? am i doing something wrong to login to SSH?
Next time, remember that when using putty and selecting text it is already put into your copy/paste buffer. You don't need to select copy in the context menu. So to make it even worse, after clearing scrollback you probably still had the password in your copy/paste buffer :-)

Are you sure you are pointing to the id_rsa (private key) of the attempt when it succeeded?

And you did try reinstalling again? I have never tried with a Pi4. Maybe the Pi4 is too fast or something. Not sure on this but must be a openocd issue.

Return to “Toon Rooting”