Everything about rooting Toons 1 and 2.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

EricvL
Starting Member
Starting Member

Latest versions

Post by EricvL »

Hi guys,

I just ordered the tools needed to root my first Toon and I'm collecting instructions. I know I have to install BusyBox and DropBear, but where can one find the latest version of these tools?
Thanks for any help in advance!

Kind regards,
Eric
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Latest versions

Post by TheHogNL »

You don't need to install busybox. Doing it wrong can break your toon. We need to remove that from the manual.
Dropbear is only what you need, http://files.domoticaforum.eu/index.php ... on/ipk/qb2

But just use the toonrooter. It will do it for you.
Member of the Toon Software Collective
EricvL
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by EricvL »

Thanks for your help!
I don't have a PI however, I just received a FTDI USB converter:
So I guess I do have to install BusyBox before I can install DropBear, right?

Kind regards,
Eric
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Didn't I just mention you better NOT install (update) busybox? It isn't necessary and can break your toon doing it wrong.
If you really want to do it manually, just start uboot, enter the command to start the toon in failsafe/single user mode. Then update the passwd file, iptables file and install dropbear. That's all you need for root access.

Doing it using toonrooter is much easer. The toonrooter runs on python so you don't need a Pi. If you are lucky you don't need openocd and you could root only using your ftdi converter.
EricvL
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by EricvL »

Oh, ok. I thought it was mandatory when you don't use the roottool. I misunderstood.
I will look around for the instructions of this tool. I have some experience with tools like Putty and Linux, but not with Pyton.
Thanks for you help!
Eric
Bruce the boss

Post by Bruce the boss »

On my Toon version 5.22.14 is installed. And I see there is a newer version. But this is not updated automatically? I have to do it manually?

Is it needed to update?
Are there important changes?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Bruce the boss wrote:On my Toon version 5.22.14 is installed. And I see there is a newer version. But this is not updated automatically? I have to do it manually?

Is it needed to update?
Are there important changes?

Yes you need to initiate the update yourself. Just hit the 'check update' button in the TSC menu.
No important changes. But that is since 5.0.6 the situation :), and for sure for the toon1
Bruce the boss

Post by Bruce the boss »

Okay I updated successfully :)

EricvL
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by EricvL »

TheHogNL wrote: Yes you need to initiate the update yourself. Just hit the 'check update' button in the TSC menu.
No important changes. But that is since 5.0.6 the situation :), and for sure for the toon1
Well, notice the new button on the left bottom on the sreensaver menu. They added an option which displays all your tiles on the screensaver screen, with autoscrolling. Nice, but bores very quickly to my opinion.

Return to “Toon Rooting”