Toon 1 and Toon 2 software rooting

Everything about rooting Toons 1 and 2.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Toon 1 and Toon 2 software rooting

Post by TheHogNL »

Please also read in dutch: https://toonforum.nl/d/140-toon2-en-too ... re-rooting

In my opinion, a too commercial urge has arisen in rooting the toon 2. Mutual relationships between the people who can root the toon have not been developing for a long time.
That is why I now make the root method that I discovered myself almost 4 years ago public so that everyone can now root a toon 2 but also a toon 1 using this method.

Read the how to and get the software here: https://github.com/ToonSoftwareCollective/Root-A-Toon

Good luck!
Member of the Toon Software Collective
toontoon2
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Toon 1 and Toon 2 software rooting

Post by toontoon2 »

Wow, super jongens!

Community is jullie dankbaar, ik doe gelijk een donatie vandaag :-)
Vriesfde
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Vriesfde »

Great News!
Took immediate action, ordered a Toon2 from Facebook marketplace today and prepped one of my RPI's to be the man in the middle.
When doing so, please do not make my lazy mistake, do a update / upgrade of your PI after the fresh install or else your RPI AP will not work.
Can't wait to get a more snappy Toon hanging on my wall!!!

Thanks

Update:
All went smooth, was done in 5min.
As toonstore was empty after root I did an extra update rooted -f cycle after which the toonstore showed apps.
Vriesfde
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Vriesfde »

Rooting worked fast! Believe I now have a rooted Toon 2.

After the root i got prompted with a password request:
lighttpd edited to view tsc/sensors via browser
Finished fixing files!
mkstemp: No such file or directory
Warning: Permanently added '192.168.4.20' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
root@192.168.4.20's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
root@192.168.4.20's password:
Connection closed by 192.168.4.20 port 22

Is there a default password to SSh to the rooted toon?

Cheers,
Frans
Vriesfde
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Vriesfde »

please ignore previous post re. root passowrd :-)
Did a pw reset via GUI now all is ok!
Megaman144
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Megaman144 »

Hello,

Is there a way activate toon without subscription ?

i have done activate-toon.sh but no go.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Megaman144 wrote:Hello,

Is there a way activate toon without subscription ?

i have done activate-toon.sh but no go.
If you follow the guide from this script exactly it works correctly.
mogwai
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by mogwai »

Thanks! This was for me the trigger to (finally) get myself a Toon2. Today I successfully rooted it with your method :)
EchoNL
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by EchoNL »

Just activated a Toon 2 with the activate script, tried 3 times but worked fine.

Also gained root access to the Toon 2 :D

Only it stops at root@ 192.***.*** password:

I entered standard password and manually rebooted it. Sadly no Toonstore or TSC menu. The popup messages says "Rooting your toon - please wait" and Er is een nieuwe TSC file update, but no TSC menu.

So i started the Toon 2 again and at password i enter standard password after this i type
sh / root/update-rooted.sh / killall -9 qt-gui / sync.

After reboot still the same no TSC or Toonstore. Is this because of firmware 5.41.1 or do i miss something simple?

Keep up the good work!
Last edited by EchoNL on Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

run
sh /root/update-rooted.sh -f

That should fix it and read the logs of this if it doesn't because that should give clue why it isn't working.
EchoNL
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by EchoNL »

TheHogNL wrote:run
sh /root/update-rooted.sh -f

That should fix it and read the logs of this if it doesn't because that should give clue why it isn't working.
I tried the solution you mentioned and succeeded.

Thank you!
gielie

Post by gielie »

Great work guys I tried this today but I can't get it to work, I get the following error.

Code: Select all

Rooting your toon
Patching firewall
Disabling VPN
Installing dropbear (2014.66-r0) on root.
Upgrading update-alternatives-opkg from 0.1.8+git0+53274f0875-r1 to 0.1.8+git0+53274f0875-r2 on root.
Downloading http://feed.hae.int/feeds/nxt/oe/angelica-1.7.6-master-zipgw-postinst/cortexa9hf-vfp-neon/update-alternatives-opkg_0.1.8+git0+53274f0875-r2_cortexa9hf-vfp-neon.ipk.
Collected errors:
 * opkg_download: Failed to download http://feed.hae.int/feeds/nxt/oe/angelica-1.7.6-master-zipgw-postinst/cortexa9hf-vfp-neon/update-alternatives-opkg_0.1.8+git0+53274f0875-r2_cortexa9hf-vfp-neon.ipk: Couldn't connect to server.
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download update-alternatives-opkg. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package dropbear.
Flushing iptables: iptables.
Loading iptables settings: iptables.
===================================================================================================================================================================
Welcome to the rooted Toon upgrade script. This script will try to upgrade your Toon using your original connection with Eneco. It will start the VPN if necessary.
Please be advised that running this script is at your own risk!

Version: 4.32  - TheHogNL & TerrorSource & yjb - 16-11-2020

If you like the update script for rooted toons you can support me. Any donation is welcome and helps me developing the script even more.
https://paypal.me/pools/c/8bU3eQp1Jt

===================================================================================================================================================================

Only fixing files.
creating backup of inittab...
creating backup of chrony.conf...
creating backup of hosts...
creating backup of config_happ_scsync.xml...
creating backup of qmf_tenant.xml.save ...
FIXING: Trying to fix Global.qml now to add all the Toonstore installed apps again.
FIXING: Now fixing internet settings app to fake ST_TUNNEL mode.
FIXING: Now modifying notifications bar to not show any network errors
EDITING: Time server, removes unnecessary link to Quby
EDITING: Hosts file, removes unnecessary link to Quby
EDITING: Disable add google DNS on top of resolv.conf
EDITING: disable ovpn connection to quby
EDITING: Activating Toon, enabling ElectricityDisplay and GasDisplay
EDITING: removing data gathering by Quby and whitelisting web services
EDITING: add disable power management wifi on Toon2
EDITING: add autobrightness feature on Toon2
EDITING: disabling Eneco subscription feature apps which are not working on rooted toons
EDITING: disabling KPI and weather happ as these are not necessary on rooted toons
EDITING: download certificate store pem file
There is a new version of the Mozilla CA pem file. Downloading it!
Adding intermediate Staat der Nederlanden Domein Server CA 2020 - for NLalert API
Updating certificates in /etc/ssl/certs... 0 added, 0 removed; done.
Running hooks in /etc/ca-certificates/update.d....done.
EDITING: lighttpd so tsc/sensors is viewable via a browser
json entry found, nothing changed
File /HCBv2/etc/qmf_tenant.xml was modified but result is an empty file! Trying to restore!
Restore of /HCBv2/etc/qmf_tenant.xml is failed! Result is also empty! Please check this file before rebooting!
Finished fixing files!
ssh: connect to host 192.168.4.5 port 22: Connection refused
It seems that the file he wants to download is not available (update-alternatives-opkg_0.1.8+git0+53274f0875-r2_cortexa9hf-vfp-neon.ipk.)
what am I doing wrong, can someone help me out?
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

gielie wrote:Great work guys I tried this today but I can't get it to work, I get the following error.

Rooting your toon
Patching firewall
Disabling VPN
Upgrading update-alternatives-opkg from 0.1.8+git0+53274f0875-r1 to 0.1.8+git0+53274f0875-r2 on root.
Downloading http://feed.hae.int/feeds/nxt/oe/angelica-1.7.6-master-zipgw-postinst/cortexa9hf-vfp-neon/update-alternatives-opkg_0.1.8+git0+53274f0875-r2_cortexa9hf-vfp-neon.ipk.
Collected errors:
 * opkg_download: Failed to download http://feed.hae.int/feeds/nxt/oe/angelica-1.7.6-master-zipgw-postinst/cortexa9hf-vfp-neon/update-alternatives-opkg_0.1.8+git0+53274f0875-r2_cortexa9hf-vfp-neon.ipk: Couldn't connect to server.
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download update-alternatives-opkg. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
Welcome to the rooted Toon upgrade script. This script will try to upgrade your Toon using your original connection with Eneco. It will start the VPN if necessary.

If you like the update script for rooted toons you can support me. Any donation is welcome and helps me developing the script even more.

Only fixing files.
FIXING: Trying to fix Global.qml now to add all the Toonstore installed apps again.
EDITING: disabling Eneco subscription feature apps which are not working on rooted toons
EDITING: disabling KPI and weather happ as these are not necessary on rooted toons
Adding intermediate Staat der Nederlanden Domein Server CA 2020 - for NLalert API
File /HCBv2/etc/qmf_tenant.xml was modified but result is an empty file! Trying to restore!
Restore of /HCBv2/etc/qmf_tenant.xml is failed! Result is also empty! Please check this file before rebooting!
Finished fixing files!
It seems that the file he wants to download is not available (update-alternatives-opkg_0.1.8+git0+53274f0875-r2_cortexa9hf-vfp-neon.ipk.)
You toon seems to be stuck in an old firmware update. It first needs those packages from the update before it can install dropbear. But it can't install them because the update server is blocked during rooting. As part of the root did succeed the update server will stay blocked now.

You have a toon2 I notice ('nxt' in the update url). You can run a recovery of the toon. If you are lucky you get the TSC recovery which will finish your root also. If you aren't lucky you will get a working toon2 back. Let it update to the latest firmware and rerun the rooting.

To run a recovery on the toon2 first remove power from your toon, then press and hold the reset button on the bottom and hold it all the way until recovery finishes. While holding the reset button, powerup your toon to start the recovery process. The screen will tell you what to do.
gielie

Post by gielie »

TheHogNL wrote:
gielie wrote:Great work guys I tried this today but I can't get it to work, I get the following error.

Rooting your toon
Patching firewall
Disabling VPN
Collected errors:

Only fixing files.
Finished fixing files!
You toon seems to be stuck in an old firmware update. It first needs those packages from the update before it can install dropbear. But it can't install them because the update server is blocked during rooting. As part of the root did succeed the update server will stay blocked now.

You have a toon2 I notice ('nxt' in the update url). You can run a recovery of the toon. If you are lucky you get the TSC recovery which will finish your root also. If you aren't lucky you will get a working toon2 back. Let it update to the latest firmware and rerun the rooting.

To run a recovery on the toon2 first remove power from your toon, then press and hold the reset button on the bottom and hold it all the way until recovery finishes. While holding the reset button, powerup your toon to start the recovery process. The screen will tell you what to do.
this did the trick, tanks.
I must have overread the part of updating toon first.

how do I activate zon op toon? do you know?
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

gielie wrote:
this did the trick, tanks.
I must have overread the part of updating toon first.

how do I activate zon op toon? do you know?
What did the recovery do? Was it a complete recovery with auto root (by TSC)? Or a normal recovery and you had to root again?

Overread the update part, no that isn't described. But your toon somehow was stuck in a update so a recovery was needed anyway.

Activate zon op toon in the tsc features menu. Only if you have a real zonoptoon configuration (with kwh meter). If you want to use the software emulation (with the solarapp in toonstore) it will do that for you.

Return to “Toon Rooting”