QT / Toon emulator? Good development environment?

Everything about software tools, new software development and toolchains. For developers, mostly.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

ovdleun
Starting Member
Starting Member

QT / Toon emulator? Good development environment?

Post by ovdleun »

Hi all,

Since I like the whole project and the effort many people put into it, I started to fiddle around with making my own app/tile.
I'm trying to integrate DSMR reader (as a start, later my solar panel info) information with Toon to get it display some data. I managed to at least get the tile working and the 'App' part to retrieve data from DSMR reader.
However I'm having a hard time getting the info aligned onto a tile and debugging why variables are not populated etc. I know how to get gt to log into a logfile, but does anyone know about something like an emulator or share what dev. environment/setup they use? Because now every time I need to restart the gui to test changes and that takes at least minutes to start (Toon v1) just to discover I made a typo somewhere or that my changes didn't have the desired effect. As you can imagine, quite a frustrating procedure. ;)

So instead of re-inventing the wheel, I thought checking here if anyone has some info about a better way to develop (and test!) apps for the Toon.
Linux tools are preferred, but I also have a windows VM so windows tools would be possible.

Hope this is the correct subforum to ask. Else feel free to move ;o)

Regards,
Onno.
TerrorSource
Administrator
Administrator

Re: QT / Toon emulator? Good development environment?

Post by TerrorSource »

Good to see others trying to develop apps!

We don't have any emulator unfortunately. Most of the current developers have a spare Toon2 which they use for development.
Takes less then a minute for a cold-boot. around half the time for a gui-restart.
ovdleun
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by ovdleun »

Tnx for the quick reply TerrorSource!
Hmm, guess I have to look in the other subforum for a not-too-expensive rooted Toon2 ;o)

I'll keep an eye it. Thanks!
Any hints on usefull IDE's (and/or toolchains) or are you guys also using VI only ;)
TerrorSource
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TerrorSource »

ovdleun wrote:Tnx for the quick reply TerrorSource!
Hmm, guess I have to look in the other subforum for a not-too-expensive rooted Toon2 ;o)

I'll keep an eye it. Thanks!
Any hints on usefull IDE's (and/or toolchains) or are you guys also using VI only ;)
Most of us use Notepad++ or plain-Notepad.
i use Notepad++ for example and just try it out and keep an eye on the logs.

PM me for a rooted Toon2. Got 1 laying around with scratches so if you dont mind those :)
Perfect for development, not so perfect in the living room :lol:

Return to “Toon software development”