Roomba, yet another questions topic.

Pop your questions regarding Home automation software here.....
jrkalf

Roomba, yet another questions topic.

Post by jrkalf »

Hi

I've seen a few messages about roomba on the forums, but no definitive yes/no about it being controlled.
I've seen a lot of messages on the web about people attaching Bluetooth or arduino boards to their roomba's. But none of them ever link any kind of control software that's actually needed to control the device.

I'm considering buying a roomba soon™ and I'm thinking about putting a pre-built bluetooth device I've found (part through this forum) a RooTooth on it.
Biggest problem I'm having right now is finding any software this bluetooth device can interface to it or even a document on which commands to send to the roomba.

Does anybody have any knowledge about this?
Not to be a nasty guy :( , but I'm not looking for a homeseer solution. I'm currently working partly with FHEM and partly with DomotiGa and whether or not the controls for the Roomba are standalone on linux, I don't really mind. As long as I have a way to control it :mrgreen:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem!

Fibaro HC2, various z-wave switching, alerting, detection modules.
ELV FHT80b heating system.
jrkalf

Re: Roomba, yet another questions topic.

Post by jrkalf »

To append to my post, I've done some more searches on the wonderful google and I found a post that didn't show up in the forums search :?: :?:

I came accross this post of Bwired on his blog and it linked back to the forums: Irobot Roomba 560 vacuum cleaner
Have people been able to get it working properly using a IRtrans module?
How far away does the IRtrans module need to be from the Roomba and does it need a direct line of sight?

I've been checking out the IRtrans website and it seems they have a IRtrans module with WiFi now. I'd be able to hook this module up to the roomba's powersupply and glue it to the roomba. That way at any given time it can get a clean or dock command.

<and IRtrans is supported by DomotiGa, which is a nice bonus :mrgreen: >

Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

If you can just send the "clean" command, if its empty it goes back to the base anyways. If you want it to go back home earlier (i assume your home then) just press the button on the remote you can buy... or just pick it up.

Basicly in the beginning i thought it would be nice to automate stuff with the roomba too. In the end i just schedule it and let it go. No irtrans/ir/bluetooth.
// Erik (binkey.nl)
jrkalf

Post by jrkalf »

Using the original remote would be another single purpose tool in the house. However with the IRtrans I could just as well hang it on the ceiling on one of the vacant spots I don't use for lighting. Just sticking out the IR diode I could control anything in it's sight, which is probably the entire room ;)

I have a good feeling this might actually be a useful thing, this IRtrans :mrgreen:

Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Well if you dont have a irtrans, then its always a good call.
// Erik (binkey.nl)

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”