Automaticly hide TV in wall

Forum about other Home automation topics which can not be categorized in any other forum. So this needs to be Home automation Domotica related! (otherwise use Off Topic)
vincenttor

Automaticly hide TV in wall

Post by vincenttor »

Not sure if this has something to do with HA but it is one thing i like to have in my home.
Since i am redoing the living room and going to create some things before i am going to live there i suddenly thought, would it not be nice if the TV is hidden in the wall.

I mean a bit like this picture that its standing in the wall and not in front of it.

But then i thought why not make a screen slide in front of it when the TV is of so it is hidden.
I have reviewed a couple of options like these:

This solution is very nice but the price is also a bit high and have to be shipped and imported since they are made in the USA.

Also this solution of placing a mirror in front would be nice but starts somewhere for 65" tv at 1500 or 1700 usd

I also thought of switchable foil, the one that you power and gets white and is dimmable.
This is a great solution but when its transparent it still stays milky white, so its annoying if a TV is placed behind this
Great for the room windows though, but a bit expensive also with 330usd for 1m2

So back to the DIY mechanical style then i guess.
I have made a little drawing that i could come up with, knowing that the actuators you use for turning a satellite dish have 2 mechanical set points and could be done in software also that it knows when to stop with closing and opening

The only thing i am "scared" off is that when the actuators are mounted on the sides , the open/close parts will skew or crash because of the forces on the sides.

Anyone that has any ideas or have build such a thing already ?
I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.
vincenttor

Re: Automaticly hide TV in wall

Post by vincenttor »

Nobody with another idea how to open and close them that could be done better ?
This is not so strange is it ?, i guess i am not the only one that wants something like described :roll: :)
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

For an application like this you can better use a spindle and one moter. That way both panels will move at the same time and speed and the installation can become reasonable compact. Just a thought.
Bram
Henk

Post by Henk »

Consider how it will look from the side - first the tv 5cm and than the painting another 5cm not really slim ..and likely looking ugly ...

You may conisder a false/fake wall construction may be not the full wall but only partly 1-2 meter wide and from floor to ceiling.
A kind of column and it may be painted in in a different color.
In this false wall you will mount the tv ... so the cover painting will be flat as it is hanging directly on the wall.
Lower this painting to the floor - you may use another false wall to cover the painting ..so it is out of sigth
You may consider in the future to increase the screen size so get enough open space so the 70" screen will fit too.
Be aware of cooling issue - you may need a fan to force the heat out.

So use a full painting/poster - use one wire and some pulleys so this wire is pulling on the left and right bottom corner.

Use a battery operated dril to do the movement of the painting - use a relay to reverse the direction (polarity) and two end switches

or google on tv lift for a professional system ....

Henk
vincenttor

Post by vincenttor »

Thanks for the replies guys,
Actually i haven't been clear enough i think, it is coming in a or behind a false wall.
The mirror or painting will be 18mm deeper then the wall itself since i am using 18mm thick material.
Here a picture of the frame that is going to be covered and on the side it will be (gestuct ) not sure what word it is in english.
The front i will spray in spray filler and sand it down until its smooth then spray it with paint like all the walls and ceiling in the house.

The spindle way i haven't thought about yet, but i could try and see if this works.
How did you have it in mind then with 2 mirrors or pieces going up and down and 1 motor ?
jeroen_

Post by jeroen_ »

Why not just go directly for a projection screen:

http://www.bitstream.ch/projectionscree ... mat169.php

Just have to hide that behind a plank of wood, disappears nicely into the ceiling.

I got mine on top of two 'pillars' of IKEA cases (the walls here are very thin and thus do not carry any weight) and most people do not notice the bar till I press the button and the thing comes down...
vincenttor

Post by vincenttor »

Thanks for the idea !
It can be a solution indeed but i like to have a mirror in front of the tv when it is off.
But who know's if i can't get it working i might try that.

Return to “Miscellaneous Home Automation topics”