How large is the market for DIY smarthome

Forum about other Home automation topics which can not be categorized in any other forum. So this needs to be Home automation Domotica related! (otherwise use Off Topic)
veseo
Starting Member
Starting Member

How large is the market for DIY smarthome

Post by veseo »

Hi Forum,

this is my first post on this forum :)

I would discuss about a simple as hard to answer question, how is large the market of DIY smarthome? How many people are willing to do by themself in order to get customization and lower cost?

Regards,
Dario.
Regards,
Dario.

Souliss - Opensource Distributed Home Automation and Internet of Things
http://www.souliss.net
raymonvdm

Re: How large is the market for DIY smarthome

Post by raymonvdm »

I think DIY smarthomes is the reason why this forum exists :D
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
veseo
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by veseo »

Hehe :)

I know that I'm not the only crazy one that see DIY as an option, but the question is how many we are? :)

I've started an opensource project a couple of years ago that is slowly growing, but still I've not got how many people can we meet on this way.

Dario.
Regards,
Dario.

Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Not that much I think. But lets first define what DIY smarthome really is...

- Does it mean those that build their own system from scratch (like you did?)?
- Or does it also include those that contribute to an OS smarthome project to add the things they are missing?
- And what about those that buy a commercial product and tailor the product to their needs as much as they can? (e.g. defining their own events/scenarios/rules)?

(You'll find all of those here on this forum BTW :wink: )

I think it's safe to say that the market becomes larger with each 'yes' to the 3 questions above, but it still remains small.

Cause the majority (those that like what they see when they're visiting "our" homes and ask where they can download the app) will always want something that works out of the box and in my opinion smarthome is not ready for that yet - you either pay an expensive bill or spend a lot of time on DIY, and I think it will take some time before this will change.
veseo
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by veseo »

From my point of view, the first two are DIY automations.

What I did is somenthing like start from scratch, because at that time I haven't found a solution around the Arduino world.

What is suprising me is the miss of hardware for DIY people. I mean people that would love to install the system by themself using ready to use hardware (no soldering and all certification as per law).

Is that a failed market experiment from the past? Or really there is nothing out?

Dario.
Regards,
Dario.

Return to “Miscellaneous Home Automation topics”