Sending SMS messages

Forum about other Home automation topics which can not be categorized in any other forum. So this needs to be Home automation Domotica related! (otherwise use Off Topic)
AshaiRey

Sending SMS messages

Post by AshaiRey »

I need a free service that allows me to send one SMS message a day or once a week
Does any one know such a service that's reliable?
Bram
raymonvdm

Re: Sending SMS messages

Post by raymonvdm »

I think using an old Nokia with a prepay simcard is the best choice for this. For other messages i`m using pushover
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

raymonvdm wrote:I think using an old Nokia with a prepay simcard is the best choice for this. For other messages i`m using pushover
I like the idea of using an old nokia however at the moment i have no idea how i can push a sms from HomeSeer to the nokia so it will be send. Do you have any idea about this?

At the moment i have setup my system to make a regular phone call to my wifes mobile and a voice is telling her what's wrong. However you must pick up the phone in time. There is no redundency
Bram
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

AshaiRey wrote:
raymonvdm wrote:I think using an old Nokia with a prepay simcard is the best choice for this. For other messages i`m using pushover
I like the idea of using an old nokia however at the moment i have no idea how i can push a sms from HomeSeer to the nokia so it will be send. Do you have any idea about this?

At the moment i have setup my system to make a regular phone call to my wifes mobile and a voice is telling her what's wrong. However you must pick up the phone in time. There is no redundency
There are plugins to do this

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Stipus- ... -P775.aspx
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

is it an option to use NMA (Notify My Android)

strResult = hs.URLAction("https://www.notifymyandroid.com/publica ... fy?apikey=" & gstrNMAkey _
& "&application=Homeseer" & "&event=Security message" & "&description=" & strmess & "&priority=0", "GET", "", "")
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

@raymonvdm
I thought thsim plugin wasn't available anymore. Thanks for the tip. I will look into it to see what is possible.

@b_weijenberg
NMA is a possibility to look into.
However i had a look at their website but i couldn't figure out what the transport media is what is used to push the message. If this is via Internet/wifi then it's a no go since wifi is only on at home.
Bram
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

the NMA message is pushed over the Internet (https://www.notifymyandroid.com/...)
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

You could also use pushover. There is a nice plugin for that as well. In comparrison to NMA it has the option to have messages acknowledged. And you can add url's in it while showing a link. So more options than NMA. You can find the plugin for HS2 here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1117028 If you use HS3: http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=163974
groeten,
Harry
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

Thanks for all the suggestions.
The next couple of days i will be busy testing and experimenting.
Bram
kriz83

Post by kriz83 »

using betamax web ui maybe ?
It's not free, but it is dirt cheap :-)
HomeSeer - PlugWise - RFXComm - Philips Pronto TSU9800/9600/9300
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I`m using different ways to send a message from HomeSeer to my Phone but i would like to send some messages by SMS because the receiving party does not need to have an active internet connection.

I can send a sms using an old Nokia Phone and Gnokii like this (Windows is supported by Gnokii :evil: )

Code: Select all

echo "This is a SMS test" | gnokii --sendsms 06xxxxxxxx
But now i would like to create a HS3 script to send this command (i only need one or two scripts to sens SMS)
vincenttor

Post by vincenttor »

http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1158
this plugin can act on receiving sms also.
only works with siemens phones.
I am actually having trouble with the datacables , cant get them to work at my system....
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I only need one or two events which can send a message so a plugin would be to expensive for this :D I`m already able to send a sms using gnokii, so for now i only need a way to call gnokii using a vb (HS3) script
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I have also tried the plugin because it is free to try for 30 days but it looks like te plugin and my Siemens TC35 are not very stable. The connection is lost from time to time and i already tried different USB - Com comverters :cry:

Do you also use this plugin and if so, what modem are u using ?
vincenttor

Post by vincenttor »

i have a stack of siemens phones now, and some cables but none of them worked good when i tested.
When i searched for some phones to test with the demo time was gone.
I will probably install it on VMware again as demo and see if all works out like i hope it would be and how stable it is.

Return to “Miscellaneous Home Automation topics”