Guidance on a 1 wire interface

Forum about 1-Wire devices.
collectors
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by collectors »

Hi, hope you can help? Im trying to get a bit of guidance/advice on the workings of 1 wire for some home automation. I would like to have a 1 wire system to monitor around 30 sensors (Mostly DS18S20 temperature) & a few humidity sensors. I would also like to control (if possible) a similar amount of relays to operate heating controls & other electrical items. . This would be in a way that if a sensor reaches a high or low setting a relay can switch an item on or off. This presumably could be programmer via a computer. But i am looking for an inter-phase that would control a bank of relays & would allow the computer to be off, but still let the 1 wire system work to what has been programmed into an inter-phase of some sort. Any suggestions on an inter-phase that might do this & that is possibly expandable at a later date.

Many Thanks.

Chris.
Woeka
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Woeka »

Hi Chris,

What about http://owfs.org/ ?

Look under >Hardware>appliances
They've got it running on NSLU2, WRT54G wireless Router and some other stuff.

I'm going to try to get it running on a LaFonera. I've got plenty of those laying around and you can hook them up to the internet. Which saves me an extra wire from the basement to the attic. However to store information is probably a bit harder, but I've got a NAS/webserver/torrent downloader running 24/7 where I can store the information.

kind regards
Joris
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Check the Poseidon controllers at http://www.hw-group.com/index_en.html
you can control a large array of 1-wire sensors over IP.
The product range is hugh!
I have a small one running on Bwired http://www.domoticaforum.eu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=847
http://www.bwired.nl/weblog.asp?id=223
collectors
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by collectors »

Joris,
many thanks for the info, will have a look at the possibilitys
Pieter,
Thanks for the info, at the moment, this looks like just the right thing & will quite likely use one of these to get me off the ground with some experimenting. The main reason for getting my head around some of the software & hardware thats available, is that i aiming to have a house built in 18/24 months time & will have a golden opportunity to cable for all cameras, sensors & cat 5 network throughout the whole house, back to a central hub.
Must admit! I came across your home site a wile back (Very impressive set up), but lost the link. So i am glad to of stumbled across the forum with your link.
If you had my opportunity to set a house up to be fully monitored, would you do things differently to how yours is set up at the moment.?
I have started plaining for monitoring & will even be wiring all plug power points individually/radial so i can have a bank of current transformers near the main fuse board for loadings on each power circuit that will have a single outlet.

Cheers every one, & hope Christmas wasnt to much strain on the belly.[:)]
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Well You say it already, Lot's off wiring and deep outlets so you have plenty of room behind the switch.
I have my doubts about 1-wire because for temperature, there are a lot of wireless devices like Oregon with even a small LCD display who can do the job.
Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Edwin2008 »

What i ment was. At this moment most installation companies will use CAT6. Als pay attention to separate the cat cable from the powerline cable. If they lie parallel for app. 4 meters you might end up with strange network problems.
collectors
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by collectors »

Hi Pieter,
will be using 47mm boxes in the walls with a few extra mm of plaster board. Would of liked slightly more, but thats the deepest box they do in the UK.

Hi Edwin 2008,
i used to install cat 5 with the electrical installations we used to do. Cat 6 was just coming out then & did a short installation course. At the time, it wasn't the best cable to be using on building site environments with being very critical on how it was handle, installed & terminated. At that time, if you wasn't careful, it would end up as similar properties or worse to cat5. But things might of change over the last few years. But would certainly keep it away from mains cables, we have inherited jobs before with bad instillation practices & picked up on some bad induction problems across from the mains cables.

Return to “1-Wire Forum”