Programming cards on the Networx NX-8E with NX1710E

Forum with questions and discussions about security or security devices like Marmitek, Elro Elk (other then Visonic)
Post-IT

Programming cards on the Networx NX-8E with NX1710E

Post by Post-IT »

For those who work with a Networx or Caddx security panel in combination with a NX-1710E doorcontroller with a Wiegand cardreader, here is some extra information on programming. I've figured this out a few years ago and shared this knowledge on a US based forum which is now closed for people outside the US. So to keep this information available to the world I'll repost it here.

Be aware, basic Networx programming experience is needed to understand this walkthrough. As most people start programming their alarm's basic setup before starting on the extra's such as the doorcontroller, this normally shouldn't be an issue.

---------------
I've installed the NX-1710E expansion board in my NX-8E with a Wiegand cardreader. Unfortunately I cannot get any cards recognized by the system.

So far it seems the expansion board is recognized (seen in DL900), board and reader settings have been applied. The reader also beeps when I hold a card close to it, so it does read. The trouble starts when trying to enter the user programming mode. Looking at the manual, it is the same as with the NX-1700 modules.

I tried to follow the manual:

*5 + mastercode It then asks for UserID
002 It then shows the current code for user 2
[Stay] First digit of the user code turns in a star; it does not ask for a new user number, reader and keypad do not change status in any way

Scanning a card or entering a user number does not change anything. Entering a user number only results in entering a partial new code for user 002 (i.e. *003**)

Double checked if the reader is setup to do card programming (Loc.3, Seg.1, Option1).

It seems the system does not change in "card" programming mode when changing to user 002. Does anybody know how to program the cards, and what should happen when pressing [Stay], [Chime] or [Exit] ?
Last edited by Post-IT on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Post-IT

Re: Programming cards on the Networx NX-8E with NX1710E

Post by Post-IT »

Problem solved!
There are several issues adding to the confusion:

1) When selecting "Stay" or one or the other functions to start the card programming (Step 3), the display normally shows a "b", in my case it where just "*". This could be a firmware difference.

2) If you use 6 digit codes, you need to pre-fill the userID with zero's (add 2): "b00001" for user 1 when using 6-digit, "b001" for 4-digit.

3) After the code is entered, the panel accepts a card (without any notice on the keypad!) while the display asks for the new userID. The reader will flash green according to the manual.

4) I used the DL900 software to see if it learnt the badges ok. Fetch your configuration after scanning, select Expanders > Door Control > Badge numbers (on the bottom of the menu list). It should show your badges attached to the userIDs.
> I had to change the Wiegand protocol value from "255" (default value) to "1" because I use Wiegand format 1. The code that was read by the panel then gets chopped in to facility number and badge number as it should be with Wiegand format (this might not be necessary in all cases, some of my badges got discovered correctly as format 1 after reading)
> Then pushed the config back to the module, and all worked fine.

Hopefully this will help others in the future.
Akatar

Re: Programming cards on the Networx NX-8E with NX1710E

Post by Akatar »

was days tinkering, apparently not. beat the supplied manuals so
Here now it works so ultimately
Last edited by Bwired on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: transl by google

Return to “Security & Alarmpanels Forum”