How do control X10 systems with a linux system

Forum regarding Linux Software and Home Automation Domotica.
I-1

Post by I-1 »

Hi,

I received my CM11 today.
It was shipped with Active Home (Windows based piece of software)
I installed the software and tested it ... and it worked fine.

I was wondering if there are also Linux based software arround to do the same stuff you can do with Active Home.

- I want to control my AM12 & LM12 with my Linux PC.
- I also want to set up an apache server on that PC with an MySQL database and control my devices trough my PHP webpage

Maybe you have some tips for me :-)

Thanks in advance,
I-1
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Hi I-1
Check this topic here is a lot of domotica home automation software listed. You find also some Linux stuff.
http://www.domoticaforum.eu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29
regards Pieter
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

I believe it is not listed, so I mention it here. I'm using HomeDaemon it is written for FreeBSD. You have to make a small modification to make it work under Linux. Since you get the source you could modify it to tailor your needs. Drop me an email and I email you the patched version.

Cheers, Willem.
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by I-1</i><br />
It was shipped with Active Home (Windows based piece of software)
I installed the software and tested it ... and it worked fine.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
It works <i>barely</i>, not <i>fine</i>. As a manufacturer I would be embarrased for this piece of cr*p, but at least it's not defective ;-)
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I was wondering if there are also Linux based software arround to do the same stuff you can do with Active Home.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Actually, I'm working on that right now. For power consumption reasons I bought myself an EPIA M9000 mainboard (with soldered-on C7 processor @933MHz). It's not as beefy as the servers most people in this group are using, but it's consumption averages down to 13 Watts. A Watt/Year costs 1.89 Euro nowadays, so a 100 Watt server would boost your electricity bill by 189 Euro per year. To compensate for the lack of processing power I will be using Linux. After all, all the systems has to do is to run a webserver and to send/receive a couple of X10 commands. I'm don't think I will make a freely configurable user application. Instead I will probably hard-code all my devices' behaviour because it's much quicker to implement and because it's a 1-off solution. I can keep you posted if you want.<br />
By the way, I'll be using a 8GiB CompactFlash card as a hard disk to save even more power.
I-1

Post by I-1 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Actually, I'm working on that right now. For power consumption reasons I bought myself an EPIA M9000 mainboard (with soldered-on C7 processor @933MHz). It's not as beefy as the servers most people in this group are using, but it's consumption averages down to 13 Watts. A Watt/Year costs 1.89 Euro nowadays, so a 100 Watt server would boost your electricity bill by 189 Euro per year. To compensate for the lack of processing power I will be using Linux. After all, all the systems has to do is to run a webserver and to send/receive a couple of X10 commands. I'm don't think I will make a freely configurable user application. Instead I will probably hard-code all my devices' behaviour because it's much quicker to implement and because it's a 1-off solution. I can keep you posted if you want.

By the way, I'll be using a 8GiB CompactFlash card as a hard disk to save even more power.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I will be using a Vmware to get everything working.
I am on my way now ... :-)

Return to “Linux Forum”