Migrate Domoticz including Z-Wave settings

Forum regarding Windows Software and Home Automation Domotica.
Plantje
Starting Member
Starting Member

Migrate Domoticz including Z-Wave settings

Post by Plantje »

Currently I have my HTPC setup as central home server. It is a standard desktop machine using about 100 Watt continuously. Because I have Domoticz setup on it it will never be shut down.
That combined with the recent issues of Toon/Eneco I want to move my current Domoticz installation to another machine.

Now I have done some searches which answered some questions. It seems that I can just install Domoticz on the new machine and then copy the current domoticz.db from my HTPC and paste it over the domoticz.db on the new installation.
Got that right? Or is it better to run "Backup" from the Domoticz web interface and do a "Restore" from the interface on the new machine? I understand the IP address will change and that is not an issue at all.
Currently I have an Aeon Z-Wave controller and some Greenwave power nodes connected to it.
If I copy paste the domoticz.db file, will the Z-Wave setup be migrated to the new machine as well?
Will the power nodes automatically connect to Domoticz on the new machine? In other words: do the Greenwave power nodes connect to the Aeon controller and know where to find it and get their old Z-Wave address back? Or do I need to setup all Z-Wave stuff again?

And last but not least: I am running Windows 10 on the new machine, but it's a rather old machine with 2GB or RAM and an Atom N450 CPU. I think it will not be an issue as I see Domoticz.exe use very little resources.
Can you confirm that it will most likely run on that machine?
raymonvdm

Re: Migrate Domoticz including Z-Wave settings

Post by raymonvdm »

I think you need to take the following steps

- backup database on the old machine
- restore database on the new machine
- plug all interfaces in the new machine

The z-wave nodes should be working now, since you transfered you Aeon Labs stick

Note: If you have and old machine it might be better to run Domoticz on Linux
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
Plantje
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Plantje »

Thanks for the reply! And for backing up and restoring the database it's best to use the tools from the Domoticz website itself, right?

I know Linux is lighter on a machine. However, there are some more things that I want to run that I can only/most easy run on a Windows 10 machine. And I know this machine runs Windows 10 just fine. And I think Domoticz is a light program. Anyway: if migrating the stuff is this easy I can easily roll back if it doesn't work...install Linux on the tablet and migrate everything again.
Plantje
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Plantje »

I always think of is decent to get back to a question. I performed the steps as mentioned and everything went fine. Thanks!
theeuwke
Starting Member
Starting Member

Uninhibited dating, no boundaries

Post by theeuwke »

Dangerous liaison. Looking for a partner for risky dating
Authentic Ladies

Return to “Windows Forum”