Windows 7 upgrade experience

Forum regarding Windows Software and Home Automation Domotica.
jruys
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by jruys »

I upgraded my home automation system from Vista to Windows 7 home professional. Initial experience is ok, the upgrade went automatic and without errors.

Only issues after upgrade:

- COM port number of RS232 USB interface had changed, so had to change ACT TI103 settings
- RFXcom (Lan) virtual com port had disappeared, had to run CPR manager again

Plugwise, Homeseer and IRTrans all seem to work fine.

Obviously I'm very suspicious about this successful migration, will update the topic if I run into issues.

/JW

PS: Beware - Windows 7 home profession has no remote desktop server support. VNC is your friend for remote management.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

yeah no mstsc, i think its just bad that its not in the home version or similar. Only thing i want of the "higher" ones.. rest i dont care..

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Bastiaan

Post by Bastiaan »

I have not heard of a "Home Profession" one.
As Far as I know it is
Home Basic
Home Premium
Professional
Ultimate
Enterprise

None of the "Home"versions has Remote Deesktop. You will need "Profesional" or higher for that.

I have tested HS with Win7 a few times and only had issues with the USB-> COM driver. IN my system used for Xanura and POPP Zwave stick. Trouble enough not to use it until they update that driver.
Haven't tried the "XP mode" under Win7 but that seems a step to far when you already have a stable XP running.
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

[offtopic]
Ultimate and Enterprise are the same. No difference in the software except the name. Enterprise is for companies with a SA contract.[/offtopic]

Alexander
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

I'm sure there will be hack available for enabling RDP in the Home versions.
This was also in Xp and Vista.

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Enver
http://twitter.com/Chak64%20My%20Domoti ... dware.html<i> My Domotica Hardware Software</i></font id="size1">
Francois

Post by Francois »

Ultimate and Enterprise are NOT the same:

Windows 7 Enterprise

This edition targets the enterprise segment of the market and will be sold through volume licensing to companies which have Software Assurance contract with Microsoft. Additional features include support for Multilingual User Interface (MUI) packages, BitLocker Drive Encryption, and UNIX application-support. Not available through retail or OEM channels, this edition will be distributed through Microsoft Software Assurance (SA). As a result it includes several SA-only benefits, including a license allowing the running of multiple virtual machines, and activation via VLK.[16]

Windows 7 Ultimate

Windows 7 Ultimate contains the same features as Windows 7 Enterprise, but unlike that edition it will be available to home users on an individual license basis. Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional users will be able to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate for a fee using Windows Anytime Upgrade if they wish to do so. Unlike Windows Vista Ultimate, the Windows 7 Ultimate edition will not include the Windows Ultimate Extras feature or any exclusive features.

Francois
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

Uh Francois, they are the same. Your C&P information concludes the same. What do you mean with aren't the same?

Alexander
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

I guess the name [:D]

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Robert
http://www.hekkers.net <i>Digit's Online Home.</i></font id="size1">
Bastiaan

Post by Bastiaan »

Just one extra remark: Be aware: the W7 basic version does not support more than one processor, even in a virtualized enviroment it will only use one core. So it is OK for your ATOM set but for most desktops already too limited.
The good thing is, you can upgrade it within 10 minutes when you enter a different key. Tried it yesterday with the RTM version and it worked like a dream.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

So a basic version of windows 7, on a duo core only uses 1 core?

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

snelvuur: No, one physical cpu (unlimited cores): http://www.vista123.net/content/windows ... tm-version
can't find a MS page.

Alexander
Francois

Post by Francois »

Alexander,

if they were the same they would both be called Ultimate (the cooleset name) but there is a difference. You are correct to conclude from my previous post that functionality is the same, but have a look at :

Not available through retail or OEM channels, this edition will be distributed through Microsoft Software Assurance (SA). As a result it includes several SA-only benefits, including a license allowing the running of multiple virtual machines, and activation via VLK.[16]

So as a home user you will not be able to obtain this version.

Francois
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

That's a license difference. The product itself is the same.

Alexander
Bastiaan

Post by Bastiaan »

I thought the basic version also would do duo core one a single processor system but in my virtualmachine, I had assigned two processors and it only accepted one, therefor very slow.
SO it might work on a physical dual core it certainly did not on VMware.

Return to “Windows Forum”