Plugwise Topology Map

Plugwise Forum about Plugwise devices and the Source software.
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Plugwise Topology Map

Post by DJF3 »

Hi,

Has anyone been able to generate a topology map of the Plugwise Modules?
(which modules are connected to each other, paths, etc)

I believe the .mdb file has some information on who-talks-to-who.

DJ
PietjeNL

Re: Plugwise Topology Map

Post by PietjeNL »

Would really like that :D
With status and connection strength would be sweet.
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DJF3 »

Hmm... I'm pretty sure that at some point I found a table in the PW DB that showed the modules, neighbours, signal strengths etc. Can't find it anymore. Maybe this information is gone now. Also checked the SDK and I can't find anything that allows me to get this type of information.

We'll continue our search. Maybe I'll open a support request at PW.

Cheers
DJ
xAPPO
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by xAPPO »

Yes, this is an essential tool I think for creating robust networks so I do hope a solution is found. Currently I use 6 Plugwise modules just as repeaters and I am uncertain how many single connection paths / points of failure I have. Also IIRC there is a limit to the number of intermediate nodes in a path which I am not sure if I am close too. I was still experiencing sections of my 40 module network becoming inaccessible but I think that the latest firmware has stabilised things quite a bit.

I did previously (July 2010) asked the PlugWise support people. Here was the question and their answer.

Q: Lastly I have occasional problems with my network and I would like to examine
the mesh routing paths and signal strengths between nodes. I want to add
repeater nodes in the correct place which is hard to do by trial and error.
Many ZigBee products offer a software utility to help with this. Do you know
of something I can use or buy for the Plugwise product to do this ?

A: We are working on this but because we use an extra protocol layer on top of the standard zigbee protocol we can't use standard programs for this. On this moment I can't give you a planning when this is finished.

K
xAPPO
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by xAPPO »

I was just checking in to see if anyone from the forum had made any progress on this or found any way of retrieving node routing information.

I have a largish network (40+) units and am currently using another 10 (!) plugwise units just as repeaters as it's a large property with walls over 1m thick. I still have periods of a few days like this week when whole segments of my network disappear. I am not sure if this is a marginal path, WiFi interference or hop counts being exceeded when one path fails. I am pretty sure most problem nodes should link to at least two other nodes but I'm also fairly sure that my repeaters are not optimally placed but without routing information I'm really just guessing.

Because Plugwise add their own network layer on top of ZigBee it makes it impossible to use any other utility. So I believe it is a necessary diagnostic for Plugwise to offer themselves, and must be requested many times by their more 'professional' market in the commercial installs.

Kevin
xAPPO
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by xAPPO »

Plugwise responded to me saying they are no further forward (one year on) in being able to offer any network routing information. They just say place all circles within 10m of each other and ensure they are connected to at least two others. Which of course without the routing information you can't be.

I have several circles within 5m or even less of each other that don't communicate and some, through walls, only 1m apart that don't communicate. I am also unsure if any are inaccessible because of the number of hops. Some circles communicate when off but fail once turned on. Trying to decide sensible positions for repeaters without routing information is very much hit and miss.

This is a poor aspect of the Plugwise solution.

K

Return to “Plugwise Forum”