Apple Tablet PC

Forum about all kind of Touchpanels & Displays.
Esteban
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Apple Tablet PC

Post by Esteban »

whether it's on the side or not depends on the orientation you give it:
portrait mode: bottom
landscape mode: side

A dock might come out later on, made by a third-party manufacturer, but don't hold your breath. Anyway like Dickr43 said this thing is not really ment for the wall, it's ment to be used like a pronto. You leave it on the coffee table or in its dock on a shelf from where you can grab it when you need it.

That said, seeing how thin it is, I'm sure you can have some small decent looking aluminium slide-in brackets made or something like that and leave it on the wall most of the time without connecting it to the power. If I remember correctly the thing has 1 month of stand-by time so it would probably be fine if you put it in the dock for charging once every week or two weeks. Time will tell...

Should you want to affix it to the wall without a dock/holder uglyfying it, you could just bolt a small plate to the wall and glue the device on the plate, just be sure that it is near to a wallsocket so you can charge it from time to time. :P
evja78

Post by evja78 »

Opinions on the reviews seem to be very mixed. Bigger concerns seem to be the OS which is a singletasking Iphone OS. This is not going to allow for a lot of tweaking.

It probably also means all apps need to come in from the Appsstore, creating a nice revenue stream for apple, but we are again at the mercy of apple approving apps for the device.

Not sure yet I want one.... the Archos with Win7 maybe a better option....

Curious to see what other HA buffs opinions are for the usuability of the device.

Evja
Esteban
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Esteban »

Personally I have mixed feelings about the iPad, since it is basically an iTouch with a bigger screen I'm sure it'll be a nice device for some casual web-browsing, I use my iPhone for that quite a lot. But as a 'computer replacement' I don't see the value at that price since in that sense the device isn't 'hardcore user' oriented, in other words, towards me. From a home automation perspective for 360/400eur(if you buy US, prob +/-450/499eur EU) you get the nice sturdy unibody, aluminium device with a great capacitive screen, almost instant-on (probably like the iphone), and with long stand-by time. And last for ebook reading it is nice, but I prefer e-ink based screens for that.

So in general I like and dislike stuff depending on what purpose you need it for, this depends on the person I guess. But I'm not buying for now, I'm keeping my eyes open for all the other tablets that are scheduled to appear this year first. And there's a boatload of them on the way.
Codeblack
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Codeblack »

My sentiments exactly, but that's probably because I'm not really familiar with Apple technology. I have no real experience with the iPhone, except from handling it a few times from colleagues and friends. But it (and the iPad) look awesome and slick and the touchscreen user interface is very well done. Both give me a strong 'got-to-get-me-one-of-these' sensation :P.
Because of coverage (iPhone was only available with T-mobile at the time and they have near to none coverage where I live) and technology (I'm an architect/developer using Microsoft technology) last time (about 1,5 years ago) I chose an HTC with Windows Mobile, but it's TouchFlow 3D interface doesn't come close to that of the iPhone/iPad. So for my next mobile, I do consider getting an iPhone...

Reading about the iPad doesn't only makes me want to get one, but also join the iPhone/iPad development program. How hard can XCode be ;). But learning to do the same things in too many different technologies feels to me like a waste of time, especially if I can do it using the technology I know already. And reading about the Archos also makes me want to get one :lol:.

For my HA system, the only conclusion I can come to is to write a seriously kick-ass web user interface. That way I can choose my devices regardless of technology. Only problem could be the support of AJAX, Silverlight, etc.
And still, a mobile phone app is always cool, uhm handy :).
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

if it runs hstouch, its just a good touchscreen on the wall if you create a nice frame for it (only needed if you want 24/7 power on it, which i want)
since it only allows 1 app to run (for now) i want hstouch to be running 24/7 so i dont have those long wait times for it.

then again, maybe they jailbreak it and then you can run more apps at the same time. i think this will come in some sort of new o.s perhaps...
// Erik (binkey.nl)
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Apple Tablet PC- NEED HELP

Post by drmacchi »

Hi all, could you post images of your WAF..... solutions to cover ugly situations ? Then , i'll buy it to check some live cams of my security system. Software is running live using active-x and java machine. Is IPAD is brother of IPHONE :) , i need someone that could check if everything can be seen without problems with his iphone. I'll give address and password to see live images of my proprierty. Thanks all
evja78

Post by evja78 »

@estaban

which particular device are you referring to in your post...?
get the nice sturdy unibody, aluminium device with a great capacitive screen, almost instant-on (probably like the iphone), and with long stand-by time.
?

Just wondering if I missed another cool device.....

Evja
Esteban
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Esteban »

@evja: I'm refering to the iPad.
evja78

Post by evja78 »

Thanks Estaban, just realized that when I hit the submit button. Misread your post.
Esteban
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Esteban »

@Snelvuur/Tane: Btw, remember that capacitive screens don't always like metal frames, test this before spending loads on a CNC'ed frontplates/frames etc. I don't know how the apple touch-screen fares.
tricksel
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by tricksel »

Esteban,

The case of the iPad itself is a metal (aluminium), so my guess is that it won't be to big of a problem then.
Esteban
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Esteban »

Yes, that could be the case, but doesn't really say much, the best is to just do a test. I've had several 'build-in ready' capacitive touchscreens with entirely metal casings. Although they had casings made entirely out of metal they still didn't like a metal bezel.

I just saw these: http://www.slipperybrick.com/2010/01/gr ... cessories/

Don't know how loose/tight/snug the iPad is in these things but maybe you could screw one of these to the wall and 'click' the iPad in? :wink: (if you don't need the power integrated, that is)
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

more info about the A4 CPU it's a quad core. :D
This is not a joke
http://tweakers.net/nieuws/65227/apple- ... net+Nieuws
Enver Tanriverdi | http://blog.tane.nl
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

Enver, please compare the iPad with the Archos (not on the specs, but your opinion). I'm curious what your conclusions are.
Alexander

Return to “Touchpanels, Displays & UMPC devices.”