use of two z-sticks in HS3

Forum and Topics about Z-Wave devices.
Wim2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

use of two z-sticks in HS3

Post by Wim2008 »

End 2009 I bought my first Aeon Z-stick for a making a z-wave network. The Z-stick was my secondairly controller in HS2, because I use several Merten double connectors.
I changed last months to HS3 without any problem. The Z-stick is still the secondairly controller. And I use also windows 7.
Now I like to use a second Z-stick. This Z-stick must be a primairly controller. This is working now with several others z-wave marks well.
But I get a problem in HS3 when the both controllers changes from com-port. This comes up when the pc starting automaticly HS3. If I start manually and the right com-port is choosen for the primairly and secondairly connector, everything is working well.
Is it possible to give a Z-stick a specified com-port number?

B.R. Wim
Francois

Re: use of two z-sticks in HS3

Post by Francois »

Hi WIm,

I have the same issue and asked a question a while ago in this thread: http://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.p ... 222#p74222 I have a PIMX35 and a Z-Wave stick connected to my HS server and everytime I reboot the ports are swapped and nothing works.

The solution posted in the thread above does not work for me, it's a still existing problem that I would like to have solved.....
Francois
Wim2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Wim2008 »

Thanx for your reaction. I saw and read your thread. The problem looks similar.
Some people are using also two sticks for devices EU and US. They must have also this problem.

Wim
Francois

Post by Francois »

FYI I also created a post on the Silicon Labs Community Forum :

community.silabs.com/t5/Interface/COM-p ... 29#U168729

If answered I'll copy the reply to this forum.
Francois
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I`m using several USB ports in HS3 but i don`t have an issue with the random comports. Did you disable reboot on BSOD
and disable automatic updates and just do them once a week?
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
Francois

Post by Francois »

Disabling these options will off course prevent automatic reboots but will not fix the problem because every time you reboot (manual or automatic) the com port assigned to the device will change.

The problem only appears if you are using the same driver for multiple devices (I have 3 devices connected Z-Wave stick, PIMX35, RFXCOM. and both the Z-Wave and PIMX35 use the same driver: Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge. These two will swap com ports on reboot while the RFXCOM will always stay on the same port)

I believe the solution can be found in using the location ID, found some articles describing this but they all say they are not applicable to win10....
Francois
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I did another check and it looks like i`m only using other vendor drivers (FTDI, Prolific, Sigma Designs) I think the easiest way is to switch to an UZB Z-Wave stick which uses the Sigma Designs driver.
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
Francois

Post by Francois »

Yep, that would be an option, not sure if it will work for Wim however. Additionally it feels like a technical defeat knowing the solution is out there somewhere and not being able to find it :)
Francois
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

Francois wrote:Yep, that would be an option, not sure if it will work for Wim however. Additionally it feels like a technical defeat knowing the solution is out there somewhere and not being able to find it :)

I did not tell to trash the old controller, you can still use that too fix the real issue, but in the meantime you domotica is working :D
Wim2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Wim2008 »

I hope I understand it well. If I use 2 usb sticks with different drivers, the problem will solved.
Use the usb Stick Gen 5 another driver then the Z-stick 2? Do you know that?

Wim
Francois

Post by Francois »

[quote="Wim2008"]I hope I understand it well. If I use 2 usb sticks with different drivers, the problem will solved.
Use the usb Stick Gen 5 another driver then the Z-stick 2? Do you know that?
/quote]

Well I did not test it but from what I am seeing, Z-Wave and PIMX always change ports while RFXcom remains untouched, I believe this could be a correct assumption.
Francois
CaptNemo

Post by CaptNemo »

I have used 2 AEON Labs z-wave sticks (EU and US) and had them switch COM ports all the time. Drove me nuts. Couldn't figure out when and why. Seemed to stabilize after a while.
I am using a virtual Win7 (now Win10) with HS3. Seemed like an issue with the initiation of the USB devices from the host to the VM (Win), causing different COM ports in Windows to start with. COM3 and COM4, COM21-24, but also switching the devices over.

In the end I ditched the US stick. Only had some temperature sensors on it.
Wim2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Wim2008 »

@ CaptNemo,
Where both controllers installed as a primairly controller?

Wim
CaptNemo

Post by CaptNemo »

@Wim2008 Yes they covered separate networks. Never did any save and load stuff. Also when adding devices I stopped using the stick separately and then connecting it to HS again, always included using HS itself.

Only way to determine which is which was at times the network ID. 're-reading' the devices from the controller totally screwed my installation and HS didn't seem to notice what was going on when COM ports where switched over.
Wim2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Wim2008 »

Today I have installed 2 Z-sticks on a pc with windows 7 and Homeseer 3.
- one Z-stick S2 for my secondary z-wave network (for the double Merten devices)
- one Z-stick gen5 for my primary z-wave network (for all other z-wave devices)
The pc has rebooted sereval times and everything with the both networks is fine and works well. It seems to go well for 100%.
The Z-sticks have different drivers and it looks this the sollution for two different networks of z-wave on one pc.
In several weeks I will give more information about my experiences.
Wim

Return to “Z-Wave Forum”