HomeMatic CCU

Forum about the home automation suites by ELV etc

Moderator: jrkalf

jrkalf

HomeMatic CCU

Post by jrkalf »

To be expected soon, I bought a HomeMatic CCU1 to start fiddle with that puppy. It's capable of doing BiDCOS protocol. The device itself is a small stripped linux box as it seems and you're able to install software on it. A wonderfully talented set of Germans have programmed a program called CUxD which allows for the connection with a FHZpc or CUL in order to also integrate FS20/FHT into the CCU1.

A few weeks back KidE from this forums showed me a teamview demo of the machine and it seems to be exactly what I need to implement in my house. BidCOS is more advanced then the FS20/FHT protocol, even being in the same bandwidth it uses another type of modulation allowing for more and more complex messages. It's still a ranged protocol like FS20/FHT and there is no repeating it (like the mesh network in Z-wave or zigbee) but there are acknowledgments etc, so that's a good step forward. and the CUxD as plugin was written in such a fashion that it completely integrats the FS20 and FHT devices as if they were bidcos devices into the management portal.

It'll allow me to re-use what I've already got implemented in the house and build on with the favorite flavor of device they release and allows me to choose which ever device fits my needs best (FS20 or BidCos)

I'll post some stuff as soon as I'm going to install it, or perhaps KidE will beat me to it.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem!

Fibaro HC2, various z-wave switching, alerting, detection modules.
ELV FHT80b heating system.
jrkalf

Re: HomeMatic CCU

Post by jrkalf »

It's been a while, but here it goes. I'm seriously impressed by the Control Center.

Although it comes with built-in support for BidCoS protocol only. There's a very good extension written by various german developers called CUxD. This extension is a BIN-RPC server which emulates BidCoS devices towards the CCU. The emulated device types consist of various ELV/EQ-3 protocols and enOcean.

The system it selfs allows for very granular control of devices. Each device can be assigned a single, or multiple, device type fields. They come preloaded as a specific type, but you're allowed to customize it or translate it into your own language. Also room control is very broad. A device can be part of multiple rooms or sections, depending your setup choices.

Also the BidCoS protocol seems a lot more stable. Although they work on the same frequency band, they use a different type of modulation that somehow is less effected by concrete in newbuild houses. I've had no problem sending multiple messages within seconds down two concrete layers without any re-transmissions or missed transmissions. The protocol also allows for bidirectional communications for sending and receiving acknowledgments and status updates. Some devices even allow for direct actions between devices (like scenes in z-wave).

Some serious review is still to come, I've been very busy lately and I've not managed to find the time to write down a proper review. But I couldn't keep the first impressions from the forums.

Return to “Homematic, FS20, FHT, ESA and ELV”