MAX! Variable boiler temperature

Forum about the home automation suites by ELV etc

Moderator: jrkalf

bfc
Starting Member
Starting Member

MAX! Variable boiler temperature

Post by bfc »

I am planning on getting the eq-3 MAX! cube, wall thermostat and the radiator thermostats for my house. My house is heated using a geothermal boiler which is fully automated. Essentially the boiler heats up the water based on outside temperature. The colder it is outside, the hotter the water is in the heating system.

From what I understand the radiator valves are "self-learning" (somebody talked about self-learning PID). Are they intelligent enough to compensate for the fact that the temperature of the water in the radiators can change quite a bit depending on the day or possible even during the day?
Massi

Re: MAX! Variable boiler temperature

Post by Massi »

i think that what they learn is "how much i have to be open to keep a temperature"
and i really doubt this can be learned depending on the time of the day.

but what you describe is quite a common situation.
in all buildings with "common heating system" this is the way boiler works.
As in my case.
And wall/radiator thermostats are working quite good :)

More than this, think to this:
what thermostats lears, isn't much far from how much heating your building looses (that's it: i need to be open x% to avoid the home to get colder)
So even this information is something depending to the outside temp. In this case, if your boiler gets hotter, it simplifies the thermostats work.. So maybe it's even better.
If your boiler works all day long, it's even better (in my case, regulator impose that heating systems can work only x hours a day, so this REALLY fucks up thermostats PIDs because they can try to heat rooms when the water is cold..

bye
Aliraza70
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Aliraza70 »

Mac. Is it possible to setup the cube (and whole system), without the need for a computer? Or is it compulsory to have a windows machine in order to set things up?????
bfc
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by bfc »

You need a computer is you plan on using the "cube". The wall thermostats and radiator thermostats can be used without a computer. The computer can be mac or windows. Once you have set it up you don't need a computer. You just need access to a computer with internet (e.g. at your library, or using your smartphone). However if you want to change some of the more complicated settings, then you will again need a computer.

Return to “Homematic, FS20, FHT, ESA and ELV”