iSense RF not working?

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

thomas_n
Starting Member
Starting Member

iSense RF not working?

Post by thomas_n »

I have both an regular iSense (wired) and an iSense RF connected to a Remeha cMix. The way this is set up, both thermostats control their own circuit. I have a separate otgw connected to each thermostat, both thermostats are set to allow remote setpoint override and both otgw are on the latest firmware version. I have connected this to Home Assistant.

What I am seeing now is that the remote setpoint override is working on the wired iSense, but not on the wireless. Every now and then the change makes it through, but I can't even understand when it does. It does not seem to be related to the program/remote change issues with the iSense, which should be handled by the new otgw firmware anyway. (I can see that the otgw does recognize the thermostat as an iSense)

Are there known issues with the wireless thermostat?
Does anyone have this working?
Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot?

Thomas
thomas_n
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: iSense RF not working?

Post by thomas_n »

UPDATE:

(Note: even if there is nobody here who can help me with this, I'm documenting my findings in the hope that someone else may one day profit from them.)

So as explained; I have a Remeha boiler with a CMix. Contrary to what many others do, the CMix is controlled by 2 separate thermostats. A wired iSense (software v30) on the first circuit, a wireless iSense (v28) on the second. Both have "remote control" enabled. In between both I have put a otgw (two separate units) with an ethernet connection (the nodo-shop version). Normally everything is monitored / controlled with Home Assistant; for my testing I am using Opentherm Monitor.

The wired iSense works as expected. Whenever I change the Remote override temperature, the thermostat picks that up a few minutes later and changes the room temperature.

The wireless iSense however behaves erratically. When I change the remote override, the otgw does what is expected for an iSense: upon the first request of the thermostat, it sends an override of 0, and on the next request it sends the desired temperature. I see these messages appear in the Opentherm Monitor log.

Code: Select all

10:20:43.287653	T00090000	Read-Data 	Remote override room setpoint: 0.00
10:20:43.429902	BC0090000	Read-Ack  	Remote override room setpoint: 0.00
and for the second:

10:21:06.552689	T00090000	Read-Data 	Remote override room setpoint: 0.00
10:21:06.724549	BC0090000	Read-Ack  	Remote override room setpoint: 0.00
10:21:06.726421	A40091300	Read-Ack  	Remote override room setpoint: 19.00
But that message keeps coming back again and again:

10:21:19.685428	T00090000	Read-Data 	Remote override room setpoint: 0.00
10:21:19.864189	BC0090000	Read-Ack  	Remote override room setpoint: 0.00
10:21:19.865639	A40091300	Read-Ack  	Remote override room setpoint: 19.00
etc..

So, it seems that somehow the thermostat does not pick up the reply from the otgw. Now, when I manually select "resume program" on the thermostat, it doesn't pick up the remote override temperature upon the next request either. I do see some message I don't understand:

10:36:12.057109	T80640000	Read-Data 	Remote override function: 00000000
10:36:12.163406	BC0640001	Read-Ack  	Remote override function: 00000001
10:36:12.168679	A40640101	Read-Ack  	Remote override function: 00000001
Even when I change it to manual and then again change it, it does not pick up the target temp. Unless... I wait a really long time and then it starts working again. Now this has been driving me crazy, because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but I can't find a difference for when it does and when it does not.

FINAL NOTE & HYPOTHESIS: the only thing I can think of is that when you change the override temperature before the thermostat has picked this up and changed its setpoint to it, that somehow messes up the flow of setting the remote override to 0 and then the desired temperature. Maybe the difference between the wired one and the wireless is that for the wired version it immediately picks up the override temperature, and for the wireless one it does seem to take a few tries. I will continue to test this hypothesis for a day or so and report back.
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

The remote override function controls whether a remote override room setpoint is canceled by the next scheduled setpoint change. In other words, the difference between the TT and TC commands. 00000001 means the setpoint can only be changed by manual action (TC). 00000011 means the thermostat should resume the normal program at the next scheduled change (TT). In theory also the values 00000000 and 00000010 can be used to disallow manually changing the setpoint, but the OTGW doesn't currently have commands to send those values.
Schelte
thomas_n
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by thomas_n »

So does that mean that if I want to do consecutive overrides I always have to choose "temporary override"? Or am I understanding this wrong.

The end goal is to completely eliminate the time program of the thermostat and replace it by setpoints changed by the otgw. The thermostat is only used to calculate the required water temperatures considering inside/outside temperature and system parameters.
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

No. A "temporary override" permits the thermostat to change the setpoint at the next point in its time program. That's not what you appear to want. So it makes more sense for you to use the "constant override".

I know that the wired iSense does not accept consecutive overrides anyway. When the OTGW finds that the thermostat is an iSense, it handles that situation by first canceling an existing override before setting a new one. I don't know if this bug has been fixed in the wireless iSense. I suspect not.
Schelte

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”