BC558A vs BC558B

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

markieman
Starting Member
Starting Member

BC558A vs BC558B

Post by markieman »

I'm fairly new to electronics and i'm trying to learn, but the documents/datasheets on this topic are too technical for me (yet), so I try to ask the question here.

I've recently ordered an OpenTherm GateWay kit, and I'm now halfway into the soldering process.

When I was about to solder the transistors on, I noticed that the part list stated the BC558A and BC548A transistors while the parts I received are the BC558B and BC548B.
(I also noticed the Conrad links on the otgw site link to BC558BTA and BC548BG)

What is (in simple terms) the difference and are these really interchangeable within the OpenTherm gateway?
Templar

Re: BC558A vs BC558B

Post by Templar »

markieman wrote:I'm fairly new to electronics and i'm trying to learn, but the documents/datasheets on this topic are too technical for me (yet), so I try to ask the question here.

I've recently ordered an OpenTherm GateWay kit, and I'm now halfway into the soldering process.

When I was about to solder the transistors on, I noticed that the part list stated the BC558A and BC548A transistors while the parts I received are the BC558B and BC548B.
(I also noticed the Conrad links on the otgw site link to BC558BTA and BC548BG)

What is (in simple terms) the difference and are these really interchangeable within the OpenTherm gateway?
What I read in the datasheet, it refers to the so called "Hfe" parameter a.k.a. the current-gain of the transistor.
I've used the BC558B and BC548B transistors too and the OTGW works perfect.
markieman
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: BC558A vs BC558B

Post by markieman »

Thanks for the confirmation that it will work.. I can continue soldering :)

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”