Moderator: hvxl

Jack007
Starting Member
Starting Member

OTGW wrong version

Post by Jack007 »

Hi,

I'm a total noob at this.

I have OTGW running on a Raspberry Pi 3B+. This works really well.
Last week i checked the OTGW website and saw that the OTGW package (Linux-armhf) for the RPi was updated to version 4.3 since oct. 11, 2019.
I downloaded the appropriate file (otmonitor) to my PC, renamed the existing file (otmonitor_old) and copied the new file to the RP (/home/pi/otmonitor) using Winscp. After this i rebooted the RPi and OTGW is running as it should.

Now, when i check the version number (under resources - getting gateway settings - version information) it reports 4.2.5 and not the expected 4.3.

Did i something wrong?

TIA,
Jack
hvxl

Re: OTGW wrong version

Post by hvxl »

Jack007 wrote:Did i something wrong?
No.

Just a few remarks that may clear things up a bit for you:
  1. The OTGW is the piece of hardware that you connected between your thermostat and boiler. The software that runs on the Raspberry Pi or other computer is called otmonitor.
  2. The otmonitor program was at version 4.3 for years already. The armhf version shows a newer date because the package was missing the tls library. As a result of the missing library, connections to an email server could not be made securely. To fix this, the package has been rebuilt to include the tls library. No other functionality was changed. So, if the old otmonitor was running fine for you, there was no reason to "upgrade".
  3. There is no need to reboot after installing a different version of otmonitor. It's a fully stand-alone program. Just stop the running version and start the new version and you're done.
  4. The version number you checked is the firmware version of the OTGW. The web page indicates: "information to request from the gateway". The latest OTGW firmware version is 4.2.5, so you're up to date. The otmonitor version is not available via the web interface, but you can check it in the GUI via Help → About Opentherm Monitor, or by running otmonitor -v on the command line.
Schelte
Jack007
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: OTGW wrong version

Post by Jack007 »

Thanks for this explanation and the great tool.

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”