Daalderop Combifort compatibility

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

Jasper25
Starting Member
Starting Member

Daalderop Combifort compatibility

Post by Jasper25 »

Hi, I have a Daalderop Combifort boiler. The OpenTherm gateway website mentions that message id 14 is not supported and that this is mandatory. Does this mean my boiler will not work with OpenTherm gateway at all?

Thanks!
hvxl

Re: Daalderop Combifort compatibility

Post by hvxl »

The fact that you were able to find that your boiler doesn't support MsgID 14 on the otgw site means that someone uploaded a log file for this boiler. So clearly the otgw and boiler work together.

The OTGW really doesn't care about MsgId 14 not being supported by the boiler. It just makes it harder for a thermostat to control the boiler: When maintaining the room temperature at a steady level, a thermostat usually wants the boiler to operate at its minimum modulation. With MsgID 14, it can just tell the boiler those intentions (by setting MsgID 14 to 0). When MsgID 14 is not supported, the thermostat has to try to coax the boiler into running at its minimum level by requesting a water temperature at, or just above the current water temperature. But this has to be adjusted constantly to prevent the boiler from switching off. So the thermostat has to request the current water temperature and send a control setpoint every 3 seconds or so. That doesn't leave much room for other messages. And if there are communication problems, it may not be able to send an update on time.

That's the reason for the remark on the site. If you are looking to buy a boiler, you may want to choose one that supports the MsgIDs needed for trouble free control. But if you already have a boiler, it's not a reason to replace it.
Schelte
Jasper25
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Jasper25 »

Thanks for this extensive and helpful answer! I have ordered an OTGW and will use it with the Daalderop boiler :)
Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Edwin2008 »

Please update on the results if you would.
** edwin **
Jasper25
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Jasper25 »

I configured and connected the OTGW and can't get it to work. Strange thing is that my thermostat goes into error, probably because it has no communication.
If the PIC is programmed it should always forward the opentherm messages between boiler and thermostat right? Regardless of the serial interface to monitor/configure the opentherm part.
When that is the case, probably the PIC is unprogrammed?
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

In case of problems, please follow the troubleshooting instructions to locate the problem. Based on "can't get it to work" it's impossible to say what the issue may be.
Schelte

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”