This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

moedt053
Starting Member
Starting Member

OTmonitor stops receiving messages

Post by moedt053 »

Hello,

I'm experiencing periodic loss of connection between OTmonitor (running on a headless RPi4) and my OTGW. The OTWG is connected via WiFi through a NodeMCU (Nodo shop).
I run homeassistant on my RPi4, OTmonitor is connected via MQTT. This setup works smoothly, I can read and adjust thermostat temperatures, but every X hours the connection between OTmonitor and the OTGW is lost. Messages just stop appearing in the OTmonitor logs, and additionally MQTT messages stop. Logs show no errors whatsoever. The link icon in the settings menu is still green. The webinterface of OTmonitor is still reachable, no connection errors. The webinterface of the NodeMCU is still reachable, no errors, WiFi signal strength >90%.

When I change temperature through MQTT a couple of times, the connection seems to restore itself for another X hours. Also, X hours is completely random and ranges from 1 to 24 hours so far.

I think the connection between NodeMCU and OTmonitor isn't 100% stable, but somehow OTmonitor fails to recognize the connection is lost. Is there some way I can further debug this, or some way OTmonitor could detect the connection is gone?

What I've tried:
- compile latest Github build, makes no difference
- automatic updating of gateway clock as a means of periodic polling the connection, makes no difference

Would really appreciate if someone could help me out. Just let me know if you need log files or anything, I haven't attached any because they don't show abnormalities as far as I can tell.
hvxl

Re: OTmonitor stops receiving messages

Post by hvxl »

This sounds similar to the problems reported in this thread. So you can try the debugging commands suggested there.

The fact that things come back to life when you change the setpoint a couple of times is surprising. Can you check (using netstat) if that happens on the same connection between otmonitor and the OTGW, or a new one?
Schelte
moedt053
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by moedt053 »

It seems that the periodic sending of time and date to the gateway only applies after a restart. Now it keeps the connection alive succesfully. When things start going wrong again I'll check the connection with netstat and report my findings here.
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

moedt053 wrote:It seems that the periodic sending of time and date to the gateway only applies after a restart
What gives you that impression? That's not how it is supposed to work.
Schelte

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”