How to run otmonitor on RPi4 with openSUSE

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

fdk
Starting Member
Starting Member

How to run otmonitor on RPi4 with openSUSE

Post by fdk »

I am trying to use otmonitor on a Raspberry Pi 4B+ with an openSUSE system.
I downloaded the source of otmonitor and did unzip it in a folder otmonitor.vfs
I tried to use tclgen to build versions of tclkit. I do have a tclkit-cli which passes the test.
However running it shows all kinds of errors, so I probably do not use the right parameters.

Can you help me with how to invoke otmonitor?

I also tried to run otmonitor for aarch64, which looks for files that are not available.

Does this utility also need parameters?
hvxl

Re: How to run otmonitor on RPi4 with openSUSE

Post by hvxl »

Sorry for the slow moderation of your message. The thing is you posted on the Hvac, Heating Opentherm Forum, rather then the Opentherm Gateway Forum, where this question really belongs (so I moved it). I don't check the general hvac forum nearly as frequent as the otgw one.

Regarding your question: It would have been helpful if you had provided some more details, like which SUSE version you are using and the exact errors you get.

I downloaded and installed Leap-15.2 JeOS (the XFCE version wouldn't fit on my 4GB SD card and I don't have a monitor attached to my raspberry pi anyway). The otmonitor version provided on the site runs fine there using the following command line:
  • otmonitor --daemon -w 8180
Schelte
fdk
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by fdk »

hvxl wrote:I downloaded and installed Leap-15.2 JeOS (the XFCE version wouldn't fit on my 4GB SD card and I don't have a monitor attached to my raspberry pi anyway). The otmonitor version provided on the site runs fine there using the following command line:
  • otmonitor --daemon -w 8180
I tried it with your command and now it runs on the RPi4 with openSUSE Tumbleweed and I am able to access it with a browser.
Many thanks for your answer, I am getting somewhere. Still need to figure how to access the OTGW via the network using the Wi-Fi interface.

It is quite unclear how to configure a configuration file and what port 7686 is for.

First I tried the source code. I did an unzip into a folder otmonitor.vfs and tried the command "tcl otmonitor.vfs/main.tcl" which complained about a missing package starkit and stopped.
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Here is an unmodified configuration file, created by starting otmonitor and then shutting it down again:
otmonitorrc.gz
Default otmonitor configuration file
(797 Bytes) Downloaded 234 times
You can edit the relevant settings manually and then use it with your otmonitor command via the -f option.

Port 7686 provides direct access to the OTGW serial interface, similar to what ser2net does. It can be used by scripts that want to talk to the OTGW. You can even connect another otmonitor instance to it. For example, if you want to run the GUI version of otmonitor on your regular PC for a while.

The web site indicates: "To run the application from sources you need the appropriate tclkit". This was supposed to make it clear that you can't run it with tclsh. Does that point not come across? Any suggestions on wording that would have made that more apparent to you?
Schelte
fdk
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by fdk »

hvxl wrote:Here is an unmodified configuration file, created by starting otmonitor and then shutting it down again:
otmonitorrc.gz
You can edit the relevant settings manually and then use it with your otmonitor command via the -f option.
After starting the single-file otmonitor I could access via the http port, which also created this configuration file in ~/.config/otmonitor/otmonitor.conf
hvxl wrote:Port 7686 provides direct access to the OTGW serial interface, similar to what ser2net does. It can be used by scripts that want to talk to the OTGW. You can even connect another otmonitor instance to it. For example, if you want to run the GUI version of otmonitor on your regular PC for a while.
Will try that later.
hvxl wrote:The web site indicates: "To run the application from sources you need the appropriate tclkit". This was supposed to make it clear that you can't run it with tclsh. Does that point not come across? Any suggestions on wording that would have made that more apparent to you?
The problem is that http://otgw.tclcode.com/otmonsrc.html (Opentherm Monitor Sources) is not in the list on the left of the website http://otgw.tclcode.com/, so I did not find that page to find how to start otmonitor using the source. I also was not familiar with the concept of a single-file executable, so I did not realize I could run the aarch64 version on my openSUSE Tumbleweed system on an RPI4. I only knew the concept of an executable specifically build for an operating system. So a few words to explain that a single-file executable for a certain architecture and type of operating system runs on all those systems even on different distributions of such a system.
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have made some changes to the web site that will hopefully make it clearer for the next person.
Schelte

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”