How to run OTMonitor on a Rasperry using Buster (Basic Quest

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

dieckfr
Starting Member
Starting Member

How to run OTMonitor on a Rasperry using Buster (Basic Quest

Post by dieckfr »

How is it possible to run the OTMonitor on Buster, and to start it automatic after reeboot? I downloaded the file, and there is no extension. I have no Idea how it works :roll: :?: . I cant find anything online...
I whish a nice and good Chrismas for everyone!
Kind regards Franz-Josef
hvxl

Re: How to run OTMonitor on a Rasperry using Buster (Basic Quest

Post by hvxl »

You seem to have been thoroughly confused by the silly way Microsoft uses file extensions. A file extension is part of the file name. It can easily be changed by the user. But changing a file name from image.jpg to music.wav doesn't magically change the file into sound. As Shakespeare said: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet".

So it's a bad idea to put too much meaning in a file extension. The contents of a file should be leading. Different types of files usually have a magic number in the first couple of bytes. That more definitively indicates the file type. On linux, file extensions are merely a way to more easily filter files by their type. But if you name a picture music.wav, you can still open it with an image viewer.

Executables on linux frequently don't have an extension. To the user it doesn't really matter if a program is a binary that needs to be loaded at a fixed address (.COM), a relocatable binary (.EXE), a batch file (.BAT), or a script (.CMD). So, in that case the extension is just a bunch of unnecessary characters the user would need to type if they would ever dare to run things from the command line.

So, by relying on file extensions to determine how to run a program, Microsoft has created an unnecessary problem. They then "solved" the issue by hiding known extensions from the user by default, and popping up an "Are you sure?" dialog if the user tries to change a file extension. Finally, windows will try a bunch of extensions if a program is invoked without specifying the extension.

With that cleared up, on to your question: I have created a web page that will hopefully help users unfamiliar with linux to run OTmonitor on a Raspberry Pi. Let me know if there are still unclear points. It can be hard for me to identify things that may not be obvious to everyone.
Schelte
dieckfr
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by dieckfr »

Dear hvxl,
what shoul i say, i did not found the Manual on your Site, i am very sorry about that, i spent hours by searching with google, tried some things found in Forums, but i didnt found your Manual... I thank you very much for your hint! I will try it out! Have a good new year!! And sorry again that i cant find it.
Finaly i want to say, tha i have programmed most Time of my Life Machines for produktion whit IEC Struktured Text Language, and yes then i have to use windows. @ Home i use Mac, because i want that the System just run, i didnt want to spent time for the System. But the biggest Reason to go to mac hard and software was that when you open a MacBook you only have to wait 2 Seconds bevor it was ready to use and have Internet connection. And there is nothing to "tune" in the System, it still works fine. I reboot the holy system only 2-3 times a year, and thats pretty fine :) On Linux iam an absolutly beginner, i thing i have to do an online training... For me it is hard to understand how to use it correctly. Thanks for your lesson!

Greetings from Münsterland/Germany Franz-Josef
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Sorry. I didn't intend to make it difficult.

The easiest way to get to the Raspberry Pi instructions would have been to click on the link in my message.

There is also a link on the Download page. In the Opentherm Monitor table, you can click on Linux-armhf in the Operating system column.

The URL of the page is http://otgw.tclcode.com/raspi.html
Schelte
dieckfr
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by dieckfr »

Dear hvxl,

it was so easy whith your instruktions, it was exactly what iam searching for :) Thanks a lot of! But I realy cant find the link an your Homepage, and google could not find it to. Maybe it makes sense whenn you put a link to the Instructions near by the Download section? I realy have spent time for searching this Information, and you are right, i did not try to "just run" the file...

Thanks you very much for your hint, an start in a healthy and lucky near Year!

Greetings Franz-Josef

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”