This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

Marchel
Starting Member
Starting Member

On/Off thermostat

Post by Marchel »

next question:
I only want to listen to the kettle (for now).
The OTGW must therefore be in Monitor mode.
The boiler has an on/off connection which is in use (floor heating) and an open therm connection.
Do I only need to connect the OTGW to the open-therm connection?
Or do I have to disconnect the on / off connection from the boiler and connect it to the OTGW?
Marchel
Templar

Re: On/Off thermostat

Post by Templar »

Marchel wrote:next question:
I only want to listen to the kettle (for now).
The OTGW must therefore be in Monitor mode.
The boiler has an on/off connection which is in use (floor heating) and an open therm connection.
Do I only need to connect the OTGW to the open-therm connection?
Or do I have to disconnect the on / off connection from the boiler and connect it to the OTGW?
I guess the on/off connector for the floor heating is for actuating a valve or pump or does it have it's own thermostat? Check your boiler manual for info regarding the electric terminals. The OTGW should always be connected to an OpenTherm compatible (thermostat) terminal if you want to use the Opentherm protocol. Again, check your boiler manual for info en configuring your boiler.
Marchel
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Marchel »

Thank you for all your comments!

The CF-MC Master controller of the floor heating only sends an on off signal to the central heating boiler.
The room thermostats do not send a signal to the boiler but to the servomotors of the distribution units.
Marchel
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

With the OTGW in monitor mode, it will directly pass on the signals between the thermostat and the boiler. But with no thermostat attached, that is not going to be very interesting, as there won't be any signals to pass on. However, with the OTGW in gateway mode, without a thermostat, the boiler will probably ignore the on/off connection. So your situation may not be a very good fit for using the OTGW.

It might be worth a try to connect the on/off signal to the OTGW. It should then send the configured max CH setpoint to the boiler when the signal is "on". I'm not sure if that works just as well as having the on/off signal connected to the boiler, though.
Schelte
Marchel
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Marchel »

I only want to use the OTGW to monitor the boiler (ATAG E320S) in Domoticz.
The (ATAG E320S) is controlled by an on / off controller of the floor heating and DHW.
As far as I understand I cannot connect an on / off controller to the OTGW?
When I leave the on / off thermostat on the on / off connection of the ATAG E320S and connect the OTGW to the OpenTherm connection of the ATAG E320S I get the following error messages.

ATAG E320S gives a C16 error.
The OTGW monitor does not give a thermostat error message.

However, the data does arrive at the OpenTherm monitor and the boiler continues to operate normally.
If I ignore the errors then I basically have what I want.

But now I wanted to get the data to Domotics.
But this one only passes 4 devices.

Apparently I have not been the only one to notice this.
https://www.domoticz.com/forum/viewtopi ... 6&p=267506

It is therefore not as simple as what I hoped for to monitor the data of my boiler in domoticz.

If anyone knows a simple solution for me ...?
Marchel
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Of course I wouldn't suggest to connect the on/off signal to the OTGW if that wasn't supposed to work.

As long as Domoticz doesn't handle the new PS=1 output, users of Domoticz should probably continue to use OTGW firmware version 4.3.
Schelte
Marchel
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Marchel »

hvxl wrote:Of course I wouldn't suggest to connect the on/off signal to the OTGW if that wasn't supposed to work.

As long as Domoticz doesn't handle the new PS=1 output, users of Domoticz should probably continue to use OTGW firmware version 4.3.
I've tried this out; but then the boiler stays off and the boiler also gives a C 16 fault.
I want to try out what happens if I do not connect the on / off connection at all.
I want to know if the C16 error message on the boiler stays away

Domoticz : Well that is another problem that needs to be solved
Marchel

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”