OTGW resets every a couple of days (PR=Q -> Q=E)

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

TomoKRK
Starting Member
Starting Member

OTGW resets every a couple of days (PR=Q -> Q=E)

Post by TomoKRK »

Hi, I am seeking for help and advice - my current installation with OTGW from NodoShop along with NodeMCU works
very well most of the time ... however every other/a couple of day(s), the gateway resets.
I would not be aware of it, however I found out that my ventilation stopped working and for a first time I thought
it will be something connected with me playing with OpenHab integration etc, however it happened again
without me touching or changing anything which I found strange.
When I sent PR=Q command it returned with Q=E - the documentation says that there was external reset
which triggered it. However I did not touch any of the devices physically or from software configuration
perspective.

Any suggestions or hints what I may look at? What could be other reasons for that type of the reset?
hvxl

Re: OTGW resets every a couple of days (PR=Q -> Q=E)

Post by hvxl »

You didn't mention which firmware you are running in the NodeMCU. But the three choices I'm aware of all pull the reset pin of the PIC low when the NodeMCU resets. The reason for doing that is that the NodeMCU sends some data at a weird baud rate (74880 baud) when it resets, which confuses the PIC. Resetting the PIC after a NodeMCU reset was the easiest way to ensure proper communication.

An external reset may also be caused by a floating reset pin (i.e. a bad connection of R10), or the GW=R command. But I think the most likely cause is that the NodeMCU resets for some reason.
Schelte
TomoKRK
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by TomoKRK »

Thank you for explanation, I am still using the 0.4 which I downloaded from the otgw website, perhaps I should upgrade and I will give it a try.
And I will think of some workaround to manage that type of cases if OTGW gets reset.
TomoKRK
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by TomoKRK »

hi Schelte, I tried to send you email via this forum or PM, however it looks like it's blocked for me, which is kind of OK (at least I understand that type of the measures :) )
however I tried to ask about some enhancement to firmware for ventilation/heat recovery and I dont think you get it.
How I could contact you 1-2-1? Or would you prefer to post it in here on the forum?

Regards
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

3 more posts to go before you can send a PM. But the forum is fine for posting improvement suggestions. That will also allow others to chime in.
Schelte
TomoKRK
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by TomoKRK »

Just quick update this topic, after the upgrade of the NodoMCU firmware to v8.1 (keeping OTGW firmware v5.1), the OTGW seems to be very stable and those unexpected resets are gone for now. This is after over 1 week running this version/setup.
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

This sounds like there is something in the otgwmcu 0.4 firmware that slowly eats up some resource, which causes a reset of the NodeMCU when the resource runs out after a couple of days. I will have to investigate. Thanks for reporting.
Schelte
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

I've had otgwmcu version 0.4 running for over 10 days without it resetting even once. Were you doing something special, like connecting and disconnecting on port 25238 frequently?
Schelte
TomoKRK
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by TomoKRK »

Apologies for long delay in replying as I have missed your post/question - I don't think there was anything special being done from my side however I am not sure what the OpenTherm binding on OpenHab has been doing in the background as it uses that port for connectivity.

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”