Pass through of 'Remote override room setpoint' (MsgId 9)

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

dtewinkel
Starting Member
Starting Member

Pass through of 'Remote override room setpoint' (MsgId 9)

Post by dtewinkel »

I love the Opentherm gateway. I found it easy to build (I have the one from Nobo shop) and easy to install and get working. With the Opentherm monitor software it is a great way to monitor the behavior of my boiler.

Is it possible to not have the Opentherm Gateway override the 'Remote override room setpoint' (MsgId 9), but pass on the value returned by the boiler? The 'Remote override room setpoint' is set by an ' incomfort Internet Gateway' based on a schedule. With the Opentherm Gateway between the boiler and the thermostat the schedule does not work anymore.

Basically, I want the Opentherm Gateway just to output all the message interchanged by the boiler and the thermostat, and not interfere.

13:08:03.449102 T00090000 Read-Data Remote override room setpoint (MsgID=9): 0.00
13:08:03.613020 BC0091380 Read-Ack Remote override room setpoint (MsgID=9): 19.50
13:08:03.632665 AC0090000 Read-Ack Remote override room setpoint (MsgID=9): 0.00

Boiler: Intergas Kombi HRE 36/30A
Thermostat: Intergas comfort touch
hvxl

Re: Pass through of 'Remote override room setpoint' (MsgId 9)

Post by hvxl »

dtewinkel wrote:I want the Opentherm Gateway just to output all the message interchanged by the boiler and the thermostat, and not interfere.
You are describing monitor mode (GW=0).
Schelte
dtewinkel
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by dtewinkel »

Yes, I tried that before, but I got errors (firmware 4.x). I tried it again now (firware 5.1), but the output is:

Code: Select all

Medium power
T100201AD
BD00201AD
Low power
T100201AD
High power
Low power
T100201AD
BD00201AD
Medium power
T100201AD
BD00201AD
Low power
T100201AD
BD00201AD
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Monitor mode in combination with Smart Power is still troublesome. It would be nice if I could fix that, but that requires too much work at this moment.

It looks like your boiler doesn't switch to Medium power when requested by the thermostat. It either isn't able to provide Smart power, or it didn't see the correct sequence of events to accept the request. This can happen because the thermostat initially talked to the OTGW, which indicated Smart power support. By switching to monitor mode, the thermostat is now effectively talking directly to the boiler, without being aware that anything has changed. In such cases it may be necessary to restart the thermostat (i.e.: rip it off the wall and place it back). That will cause renegotiation of Smart power support.

If your boiler supports Smart power, the OTGW will report errors in monitor mode when communication happens at any raised power level. However, the boiler and thermostat will be able to communicate normally. This may be acceptable if communication mostly happens at the Low power level. You will just miss the responses during Medium power mode, or all messages during High power mode.

If your boiler does not support Smart power, the thermostat will learn that fact when you restart it after the OTGW has been set to monitor mode. Things should then work fine, unless your thermostat requires Smart power. In that case, you need the OTGW to be in gateway mode.

I have made a small change to the OTGW firmware that will pass on the MsgID 9 response from the boiler, if it is a read- or write acknowledgement and the OTGW does not have its own active override request: gateway-5.1.1.hex. Would you need a similar change for MsgID 100?

Note for other users: Version 5.1.1 will not be published on the download web page, because the change is irrelevant for regular user and this firmware is not recommended, unless the fix is needed.
Schelte
dtewinkel
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by dtewinkel »

The update works great. Thank you!
I'll check if I need it for MsgID 100 too. I don't know yet.
In monitor mode, I tried several combination of power on of Boiler, gateway and thermostat, but with no success.

Again, thanks for the quick fix.

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”