Remote override room setpoint no longer cleared

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

ebaauw
Starting Member
Starting Member

Remote override room setpoint no longer cleared

Post by ebaauw »

Last weekend, I got a new Remeha Avanta Ace boiler and Remeha iSense thermostat, but kept my OpenTherm Gateway with firmware 5.1. Both the boiler and thermostat implement OpenTherm v3.0 (my old Remeha Avanta boiler and Honeywell Chromotherm thermostat did v2.x), but the OTGW seems to work fine, except for one quirck.

When I set the remote override (TT=22), the behaviour is as before: after a couple of seconds the OpenTherm Monitor shows the Remote override room setpoint, and some time later, the Room setpoint has changed accordingly. The thermostat display shows the symbol for manual override. When the schedule resumes, the thermostat no longer shows the manual override symbol, and changes the room setpoint. This is reflected in the OpenTherm Monitor, but the gateway doesn't clear the Remote override room setpoint (reset it to 0).

The thermostat reads message 9 every seven seconds (which is more frequently than my old thermostat, if I remember correctly). The boiler doesn't support this message (checked by setting the gateway in monitor mode). The gateway intercepts the message (as far as I can tell: as it should), reading some other message from the boiler and returning the remote override room setpoint as set by TT. I think this is the same behaviour as before. When the schedule resumes, the gateway continues to return the previously set value.

From the OTGW documentaton: "The gateway will continue to send a setpoint override value until it detects that the thermostat no longer honors the change (probably because it was canceled by a manual action or by the thermostat schedule). When that happens the override room setpoint resets itself to 0.0."

How does the gateway detect that "the thermostat no longer honors the change"? I assumed this was because of the changed "Room setpoint"? The thermostat writes this message 16 every 42 seconds, and the boiler acknowledges these messages.

As a side note: the thermostat also tries to read messages 99, 109, 110, 111, and 112, but the boiler doesn't support any of these.
hvxl

Re: Remote override room setpoint no longer cleared

Post by hvxl »

You seem to be referring to some log, which you did not attach.
Schelte
ebaauw
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Remote override room setpoint no longer cleared

Post by ebaauw »

Thank you for responding!

I wasn't referring to any logfile, but please find attached a logfile captured from the OpenTerm Monitor.

At start, the room thermostat is running its programme: room setpoint at 15°C and hot water comfort mode off.
After TT=21 is acknowledged (on the third attempt), the Openterm Gateway applies the remote override room setpoint. The thermostat responds by adjusting the room setpoint and turning on comfort mode. So far, so good.

Next, I resumed the programme from the thermostat (you see the power messages in the log as the thermostat turns on its light). The thermostat resets the room setpoint and comfort mode, which is registered by the gateway. However, the gateways continues to apply the remote override room setpoint. With my previous boiler and thermostat, it would reset to 0.

Next, I sent a TT=22 (which was acknowledged on the first attempt). Now the gateway resets the remote override room setpoint to 0, before applying the new value.

Please let me know if I can supply more info.
Attachments
otlog-20211219.txt.gz
(9.11 KiB) Downloaded 107 times

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”