Opentherm Gateway

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

Templar

Re: Opentherm Gateway

Post by Templar »

I found this:
De master kan de slave vragen het beschikbare vermogen te veranderen naar low- (40mW), medium- (136mW) of high power (306mW).
nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenTherm#OpenThe ... mart_Power

Opentherm Testtool (with Data-id.otm file and "Functional specification Opentherm TestTool"):
hccp.nl/home/index.php?option=com_phoca ... ;Itemid=64

Wil the Opentherm gateway support sending alternative Data-id's to the thermostat in the near future? I've got Data-Id's range 70 to 91 to throw at my Honeywell Vision Opentherm thermostat.
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Yes, I have seen those before. Unfortunately they don't provide nearly enough detail. At the very least I would need to know what the current limits are for logical '0' and '1' in medium and high power mode. So that's four numbers for each mode instead of just one.
Templar wrote:Wil the Opentherm gateway support sending alternative Data-id's to the thermostat in the near future? I've got Data-Id's range 70 to 91 to throw at my Honeywell Vision Opentherm thermostat.
In the Opentherm Protocol the thermostat is the master, so that's the part that controls which Data Id's are exchanged. That is not something the slave can alter, at least not according to version 2.2 of the protocol. Again, if this has changed in a later version of the protocol, I would need the details to be able to implement it. So that is almost certainly not going to happen in the near future.

Schelte.
Schelte
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Michelo wrote:Isn't it a case of finding the right bits to convince the thermostat it can use the backlight?
With the right bits you mean report smart power support? But then if the thermostat requests to switch to medium or high power mode, the gateway has to actually provide the different power levels. In the default low power mode a '0' is represented by 7 ± 2 mA and a '1' is 20 ± 3 mA, which is what the gateway hardware is designed to provide. Going by the numbers mentioned on wikipedia, in medium power mode, a '0' would be around 24 mA and around 53mA in high power mode. So it's not just a matter of bits, it has to be supported in the hardware too.

Schelte.
Schelte
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

@Schelte: I did some tests using the otmonitor tool. I was able to override the setpoint of the iSense, but I was not able to set the time. Is this a known issue, or am I doing something wrong?
Rene.
Templar

Post by Templar »

hvxl wrote: In the Opentherm Protocol the thermostat is the master, so that's the part that controls which Data Id's are exchanged. That is not something the slave can alter, at least not according to version 2.2 of the protocol. Again, if this has changed in a later version of the protocol, I would need the details to be able to implement it. So that is almost certainly not going to happen in the near future.

Schelte.
My mistake. What I meant to say was having the Opentherm gateway reply to a certain Data-id with a user defined Data-Id. I want to fool the Honeywell Vision Modulation thermostat thinking it is connected to a ventilation device. (I want to enable the ventilation function of the Honeywell Vision Modulation thermostat. I think it uses the Data-Id range 70 to 91.)

I surely wil sniff for these Data-Id's.

Code: Select all

; New ID for ventilation/heat-recovery applications

70,"STATUS V/H",READ,FLAG,00000000,FLAG,00000000,Yes
71,"CONTROL SETPOINT V/H",WRITE,U8,0,100,0,Yes
72,"FAULT FLAGS/CODE V/H",READ,FLAG,00000000,U8,0,255,0,Yes
73,"DIAGNOSTIC CODE V/H",READ,U16,0,65000,0,Yes
74,"CONFIG/MEMBERID V/H",READ,FLAG,00000000,U8,0,255,0,Yes
75,"OPENTHERM VERSION V/H",READ,F8.8,0,127,"2,32",Yes
76,"VERSION & TYPE V/H",READ,U8,0,255,1,U8,0,255,0,Yes
77,"RELATIVE VENTILATION",READ,U8,0,255,0,Yes
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Rene wrote:I was able to override the setpoint of the iSense, but I was not able to set the time. Is this a known issue, or am I doing something wrong?
I've not had reports from users with an iSense thermostat whether or not setting the clock worked for them. Can you post or send me a log where you attempted to do this?

Schelte
Schelte
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

@schelte: I will collect some logs next weekend.
Rene.
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Templar wrote:I want to fool the Honeywell Vision Modulation thermostat thinking it is connected to a ventilation device.
This sounds like very dedicated customization to your situation. I suggest you submit a request for the sources and add this yourself.

I could possibly add some feature that allows the user to specify a return value for Data-Id's that would otherwise be returned as unknown, but that is definitely not going to happen any time soon.

Schelte.
Schelte
vossie
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by vossie »

hvxl wrote:
Rene wrote:I was able to override the setpoint of the iSense, but I was not able to set the time. Is this a known issue, or am I doing something wrong?
I've not had reports from users with an iSense thermostat whether or not setting the clock worked for them. Can you post or send me a log where you attempted to do this?

Schelte
I also have an iSense, will check the clock when i get back home.
I have the future enabled in domotiga but haven't checked if it workes.

Another thing.
I am using domotiga but have no ouside sensor on my boiler. on the site of domotiga it should be possible to send the temp from my weatherstation to the termostat, Anyone got this working?
BreFra
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by BreFra »

vossie wrote: Another thing.
I am using domotiga but have no ouside sensor on my boiler. on the site of domotiga it should be possible to send the temp from my weatherstation to the termostat, Anyone got this working?
You've to create a "OpenTherm Outside Temperatuur" device using the address "outside" for this. This outside temp device works 2 way.
1. If you have a outside temperature sensor connected to you boiler you will see the outside temp inside DomotiGa.
2. If you don't have an sensor connected, you can send the outside temp to the thermostat by updating the first value of the device. For example by a setting up a regually triggered event. Use a scripted action in this event with this script

Devices.ValueUpdate(X,Dev_Y_Value, "", "", "")
replace the X with the deviceid of the OpenTherm outside temp device, and replace the Y with the deviceid of you temperature sensor of your wheather station.

Frank
vossie
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by vossie »

Ah thanks Frank will put it to work :)
btw
I tested if domotiga is updating the clock of the thermostat, it doesn't....
dunno it this is domotiga or just the iSense not acapting the time msg
BreFra
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by BreFra »

The time sync option (at interface dialog) in DomotiGa runs hardcode once a day at 3:15 in the morning. So did you waited long enough?

DomotiGa will send the local time of you DomotiGa server to the gateway, the gateway waits until the thermostat does an time request on the OpenTherm bus and the then replies with the time it received from DomotiGa.
So it could be the case the iSense doesn't request the time and therefor isn't updating it...

Btw you can also "manually" send the time to the gateway from DomotiGa by using an event with this action script

Main.hOpenTherm.SendCommand("CLOCK", "sync")
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Guys,
This is going off topic a bit too much imo.
This topic is not meant for a full discussion on the combination with Domotiga. So if you'll keep on posting about that, start a new topic please.
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

Today i found this topic again. I did not know this was so active. Is there anyone who can bring me up to speed on this.

I found out that homeseer support is available http://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.p ... 4&start=30 but how do i get a pcb to build the gateway. Are there any pcb`s available ?

I have an "Valiant VHR-C" boiler with "Honeywell Basicstat Modulation" thermostat
Last edited by raymonvdm on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
Irritanterik

Post by Irritanterik »

HP t5630w with Homeseer 2 > Will migrate to Homey | RFXLAN | IRTrans | Opentherm Gateway | ITHO ECO-FAN integration | Harrison Curtain | Z-wave

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”