A batterij with WiFi

On this Forum we can discuss interesting Kickstarter like smartthings and gadgets
AshaiRey

A batterij with WiFi

Post by AshaiRey »

This design will make your batterij powered device into a WiFi monitored device that will run 5 years on a 9V battery

For example, turn your ordinary smoke detector into a WiFi connected one by just using this battery
http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/12/roos ... _truncated

Looks very promising
Bram
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A batterij with WiFi

Post by Bwired »

Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

I like the idea, but there are 2 things I don't like.

I don't like that all these inventions require their own cloud & app; no mention of other ways of connectivity.
Someone said on social media:"Another awesome new addition to the IoT family". Yeah right, you can leave the "I" away IMHO, it's just a thing that uses Internet - this is no more "IoT" then my Wifi AP for example, but more like "CIoT" (Closed) or "PIoT" (Proprietary). It's a NBWFITBP (Nice But Won't Fit In The Bigger Picture) solution.

2nd thing: it's a pity the Roost isn't rechargable; after 5 years you can throw it away and buy a new one, and hoping they're still manufactured.

But I don't want to "drill the Roost into the ground" :P, so what should I do ... buy one so I can leave a comment? :lol:
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

Yes, that whole battery to app thinggy is holding me back too. I really make a point at keeping my data onpremisis
About the rechargeable the mention in the faq that this is a deliberate choice. When using a rechargable the battery life would be 1 year instead of 5. But what is holding you back to replace the dead battery after 5 years for a rechargeable one. :)
Bram
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Agree! I was referring to the fact that wifi in a battery points out that the IOT is really taking of and i like that :-)
But yes the solution with this 9 volt battery has no value to me at all.
I hardly use those anymore, you see that currently all 9 volts are replaced with much better realiable options.
My 10+ smoke detectors are allready equiped with low battery indication and i get an email or something like that.
Also new devices will check the battery and report this to the system, probably also cloud!

Still a lot of 9 volts are out there, but i think its not growning anymore. So i think diff kind of will follow soon.

The need of a cloud for everything is becoming a real problem, in the near future a normal person will have 10+ different clouds for all kind of devices :-)

Btw device will run 5 years on a 9 volt ....first see... No way i think
jeroen_

Post by jeroen_ »

> Btw device will run 5 years on a 9 volt ....first see... No way i think

The big question with such a service if that service is still there in 5 years...

because if it is not, you are buying a dud...
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

:)

Return to “Kickstarter, Indiegogo and other crowdfunding related smartthings”