Forum about Toon hardware, both versions 1 and 2 of Toon

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

warp
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Hardware: Toon boiler module, "ketelmodule"

Post by warp »

Hi all,
I just installed a second-hand toon, rooted it successfully, toonstore is installed and working.
The gas meter works correctly as well.
I'm now stuck with the boiler module. It has the opentherm logo on the back.
I have a viessmann boiler, which is compatible with openterm.
I also have a remote (Vitotrol 200A) which is, if I'm not wrong, communicating with the opentherm protocol.
(according to the manual it is connected to the boiler on the km-bus).

In the overview setup menu, there's a green flag on the boiler module.

I first tried to connect to toon boiler module instead of the remote.
I then click on the refresh icon in the boiler setup menu (that menu shows "Opentherm" with a selector that does nothing, then "stop/start" and close to that the refresh icon), and I can hear a kind of relay (closing ?). It does nothing apparently, then again the relay (opening ?) after 3-4 seconds.

Since several remotes can be installed on the same bus, I then connected the boiler module in parallel to the remote.
I hit the refresh icon, same relay sound, nothing happens, then again the relay.
During that time the (original) boiler remote still works.

Is there something I should do ?
Thanks.
Warp
Last edited by warp on Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

The toon opentherm boilermodule doesn't allow any parallel operation.
Also, when in aan/uit it will work as a simpele relay (what you already described). In fact, that relay switch for a few seconds is just the boilermodule trying to detect opentherm and if not falling back to aan/uit.
Member of the Toon Software Collective
warp
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by warp »

That’s also my guess : the relay switches to opentherm, tries to detect, then comes back to on/off mode.
What I don’t understand is why the original thermostat works, and the toon does not.
I will search further to see if there would be a confit in the boiler itself.
I will also make sure the remote uses the opentherm protocol (what I’m not 100% sure)
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Probably because it doesn't support opentherm natively :-) Maybe you need an extra module for opentherm support on the boiler. I'm not familiair with viesmann.
warp
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by warp »

So...indeed my boiler does not support opentherm. Point.
Actually I’m lucky I didn’t break anything.
There’s a gateway, but it cost 400€ !!
Not sure it’s worth the price.
Templar

Post by Templar »

marcelr wrote:I'm having some issues logging the thermostat code output. Will try again this weekend.
Hi marcelr,

Have you managed to find out if the ketelmodule is working in back to back mode?
markismus
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by markismus »

Wattage Ketelmodule and Toon

I was wondering how much wattage the ketelmodule and more importantly the Toon 1 really need.

The ketelmodule states that it uses 10.3W and the power adapter states that it delivers 24V at 0.5A, which comes to 12W.

The power adapter of the ketelmodule flashed rather splendidly yesterday and we woke up in a rather cold house. Opening it up it was nicely blackened inside. I desoldered the wires and connected them to my central heating boiler, an Intergas combiketel HR36-30 from 2011. It has two connection for powering a clock thermostat giving me 24V with a max of 3W.

However, the Toon works spendidly. So either the Intergas Combiketel gives way more wattage that it is rated for in the installation instructions or the Toon really doesn't need 10W if you don't use the USB port for charging.
Ierlandfan

Post by Ierlandfan »

Am I right that around 10 watts 24/7 and with paid subscription of 4,50, Toon costs us +- 7 euro a month?
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Ierlandfan wrote:Am I right that around 10 watts 24/7 and with paid subscription of 4,50, Toon costs us +- 7 euro a month?
10 watts (0,01 kilowatts) times 24 hours = 0,24 kWh a day and that makes around 7 kWh per month which roughly is 1,5 euro per month so that would be 6 euro's :-)

But coming back to the to question earlier. I think it is more like 10 watts peak. Around 1 or 2 watts operational is what I remember from earlier measurements.
Dare
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Dare »

markismus wrote:Wattage Ketelmodule and Toon

I was wondering how much wattage the ketelmodule and more importantly the Toon 1 really need.

The ketelmodule states that it uses 10.3W and the power adapter states that it delivers 24V at 0.5A, which comes to 12W.

The power adapter of the ketelmodule flashed rather splendidly yesterday and we woke up in a rather cold house. Opening it up it was nicely blackened inside. I desoldered the wires and connected them to my central heating boiler, an Intergas combiketel HR36-30 from 2011. It has two connection for powering a clock thermostat giving me 24V with a max of 3W.

However, the Toon works spendidly. So either the Intergas Combiketel gives way more wattage that it is rated for in the installation instructions or the Toon really doesn't need 10W if you don't use the USB port for charging.
Hi markismus, i am very interested in your way to skip the external adapter and feed it from the boiler. Can you tell more about which wires to desolate?

Return to “Toon Hardware”