ZonOpToon alternative

Forum about Toon hardware, both versions 1 and 2 of Toon

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

Lucien
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: ZonOpToon alternative

Post by Lucien »

TheHogNL wrote:Can you please tell us how you wired your kWh meter and which kWh meter you have?
I do use an EMAT Dinrail kWh meter 45A 1-fase Digitaal MID GEKEURD this one give 1000 pulses per kWh.
Connected by the optical sensor of toon.
kWh measured by Solar Inverters
kWh measured by Solar Inverters
Picture1.png (27.92 KiB) Viewed 5553 times
Smart Meter readings by DSMR-Reader
Smart Meter readings by DSMR-Reader
Picture2.png (71.58 KiB) Viewed 5553 times
TOON Zonnepelen
TOON Zonnepelen
Picture3.jpg (52.52 KiB) Viewed 5553 times
kWh meter with Optical sensor
kWh meter with Optical sensor
picture4.jpg (91.11 KiB) Viewed 5553 times
Meter Adapter
Meter Adapter
picture5.jpg (125.52 KiB) Viewed 5553 times
Toon Production page
Toon Production page
Picture6.jpg (224.88 KiB) Viewed 5553 times
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

So, minus 5 is never good. Should be positive. This calculating is just a simple (production meter kWh - net delivered kWh) calculation. Somehow your net delivered it HIGHER than the produced kWh and that isn't possible
Taking for granted that 11kWh production is good, then the 16kWh delivered to NET is wrong. But that comes straight out of the P1 port of the smart meter (which report 4,something kWH in your other tool).

I notice you have two inverts. How are they wired towards the kWh meter? Are they both on the same phase? Is 11kWh really what you would expect from both inverters together?

Also your screenshot of the toon showing the -5 kWh is a TOTAL since 31-3-2020 so not the value for only 2-4-2020
Member of the Toon Software Collective
Lucien
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Lucien »

TheHogNL wrote:So, minus 5 is never good. Should be positive. This calculating is just a simple (production meter kWh - net delivered kWh) calculation. Somehow your net delivered it HIGHER than the produced kWh and that isn't possible
Taking for granted that 11kWh production is good, then the 16kWh delivered to NET is wrong. But that comes straight out of the P1 port of the smart meter (which report 4,something kWH in your other tool).

I notice you have two inverts. How are they wired towards the kWh meter? Are they both on the same phase? Is 11kWh really what you would expect from both inverters together?

Also your screenshot of the toon showing the -5 kWh is a TOTAL since 31-3-2020 so not the value for only 2-4-2020
My tool (https://github.com/dennissiemensma/dsmr-reader) is readering mij P1 realy accurate, but does only do the P1, so will not take into account the separate kWh meter. Using a PM I can give you tempory access to it by opening a port and forward it to the RPi.

The 2 inverters come together before the kWh meter, so this al works fine for a long time.

The reason for the total since 31-3:I just rooted my Toon and coupled my solar at the 31th but had the pulse-counter wrong. It was on 10000 pulses per 1kWh instead of 1000.

I hope I answered all of your questions.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Ok so maybe the total value is currently wrong due to the previous faulty pulse state?

How is the realtime view of power usage vs solar production on the toon? Does the solar production realtime (in Watt) match the solar production you get from the inverters together? And is dthe realtime power usage (in Watt) about what you currently use in your house (including what is received from the solar panels)?
Lucien
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Lucien »

TheHogNL wrote:Ok so maybe the total value is currently wrong due to the previous faulty pulse state?

How is the realtime view of power usage vs solar production on the toon? Does the solar production realtime (in Watt) match the solar production you get from the inverters together? And is the realtime power usage (in Watt) about what you currently use in your house (including what is received from the solar panels)?
Good questions, all these realtime figures are correct !! Apart from a hick-up today where I lost 2 hours of data. I repositioned reconnected the sensor.

BTW. I'm not very pleased with the optical method on the kWh meter, I just don't like optical sensor and the sensitivity of the placement. I tried the S0 contact to start with, but the Meteradapter wants to 'see' the optical sensor at startup/coupling.
Is there a workaround for this. Has anyone successfully used the S0 Contact instead of the optical device?
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Lucien wrote:
TheHogNL wrote:Ok so maybe the total value is currently wrong due to the previous faulty pulse state?

How is the realtime view of power usage vs solar production on the toon? Does the solar production realtime (in Watt) match the solar production you get from the inverters together? And is the realtime power usage (in Watt) about what you currently use in your house (including what is received from the solar panels)?
Good questions, all these realtime figures are correct !! Apart from a hick-up today where I lost 2 hours of data. I repositioned reconnected the sensor.

BTW. I'm not very pleased with the optical method on the kWh meter, I just don't like optical sensor and the sensitivity of the placement. I tried the S0 contact to start with, but the Meteradapter wants to 'see' the optical sensor at startup/coupling.
Is there a workaround for this. Has anyone successfully used the S0 Contact instead of the optical device?
Yes check this post viewtopic.php?f=95&t=11969&hilit=zonopt ... =15#p85351
yjb

Post by yjb »

Lucien wrote: Is there a workaround for this. Has anyone successfully used the S0 Contact instead of the optical device?
Yes, I'm using the S0 contact. Just make sure that you look at the post as indicated by TheHog
Lucien
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Lucien »

Thanks guys, this will do the trick. I was new at the forum last week and was a bit lost in the overload of information. First rooting, then Toon Mobile, Zon op Toon..... I did see the schematic but lost it somehow. Next test tomorrow.

Unfortunately, still the problem on the total production remains....
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Lucien wrote:Thanks guys, this will do the trick. I was new at the forum last week and was a bit lost in the overload of information. First rooting, then Toon Mobile, Zon op Toon..... I did see the schematic but lost it somehow. Next test tomorrow.

Just check that next month. If the real time values are ok I'm sure the total is just screwed up now due to the earlier pulse misconfigure.
Lucien
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Lucien »

TheHogNL wrote:
Lucien wrote:Thanks guys, this will do the trick. I was new at the forum last week and was a bit lost in the overload of information. First rooting, then Toon Mobile, Zon op Toon..... I did see the schematic but lost it somehow. Next test tomorrow.

Just check that next month. If the real time values are ok I'm sure the total is just screwed up now due to the earlier pulse misconfigure.
I will check the coming days, keep you posted.
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

I happen to be playing around with a similar problem, and right now I am emulating S0 contacts with a raspberry pi. The replacement circuit for the optical sensors is fairly straightforward.

The S0 contacts are typically open collector circuits. The meter adapter supplies 3.3V, so with a simple 1kOhm (or higher) pull-up resistor you can emulate the switching behaviour of the reflective sensor. Besides that, you will also need a resistor to emulate the sending diode. That way, the toon software recognizes your construction and starts tuning (at least in my case). When you then start sending pulses, the meter adapter picks them up and will pass them on to toon. Will post a diagram shortly, need to draw it first ;-)

EDIT: done: The S0 switch is connected between the two contacts. The 330-470 Ohm resistor mimics the diode, and prevents your power supply from burning. The 4k7 Ohm resistor pulls the signal high when there's no pulse, the signal is low with an S0 pulse available. The signal current then is more or less the same as the signal current in the real thing. I had some small-power resistors and squeezed them into the housing of the 3.5mm jack plug. YMMV.
S0_circuit.jpg
S0_circuit.jpg (654.62 KiB) Viewed 5487 times
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Nice one Marcel, but the 4k7 isn't necessary. Also the 330-470 for the led replacement isn't needed. It just works with the s0 only in the circuit and the shortcircuit of gnd and the led supply (middle pin)
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

TheHogNL wrote: Also the 330-470 for the led replacement isn't needed. It just works with the s0 only in the circuit and the shortcircuit of gnd and the led supply (middle pin)
That may be the case for a toon meteradapter, it would fry my raspi's GPIO circuitry. I think I'll keep them both in :-).
Lucien
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Lucien »

Thanks Marcelr and TheHogNL, I just implemented the short circuit methode, and it looks fine. Tomorrow the big test. Is it safe to do a factory reset to start with fresh data, or is there another way to clear my data and start collecting data from scratch?
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Factory reset is safe. You could also remove the rrd files etc manually but just factory reset will be easiest.
You will probably see an activation screen but the root scripts will kick in a few seconds later to activate your toon on the fly

Return to “Toon Hardware”