Toon firmware - update script

Forum about the Toon firmware, and its extensions

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

TerrorSource
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Toon firmware - update script

Post by TerrorSource »

pkaak wrote:is 5.33.9 the latest stable version for the Toon 1?
It's not the last version. 5.33.100, 5.35.100 and 5.36.100 are newer but we do not recommend to install that.
5.33.9 is the last version we support at the moment.
ArieKanarie wrote:Is it advisable to revert to an older firmware version? I while ago I upgraded (not sure what version) but the load on the Toon is too heavy and it is almost constantly rebooting.
I deleted almost every app, only afvalwijzer, calendar and wifiqr are installed.
For now I changed the domoticz script to get toon data every 15 minutes to be able to use the toon.
Might but not sure if that works. Toon1 is a "slow" device and has just a bit of memory. Toon2 on the other hand is way faster.
khunterh
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by khunterh »

I have done a toonrestore because he didnit want to do anything after updaten to 5.33.9. The restore was succesfull.
But now he will not update .
It looks like the VPN tunnel is not working.
=======================================
Alright, I will try to upgrade to 5.33.9
Now starting the VPN tunnel and waiting for it to be alive and configured...
Could not enable VPN in a normal reasonable time!
DEBUG information:
192.168.1.0/24 dev wlan0 scope link src 192.168.1.10
default via 192.168.1.1 dev wlan0 metric 10
# <persistent /etc/hosts content can be added to /etc/hosts.template file>
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost eneco-001-000000
172.24.16.1 feed.hae.int feed
127.0.0.1 ping.quby.nl
END DEBUG information
Quitting the upgrade. It was a nice try tho...
killall: openvpn: no process killed
============================================

Anyone an idea how to fix this ?
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

khunterh wrote:I have done a toonrestore because he didnit want to do anything after updaten to 5.33.9. The restore was succesfull.
But now he will not update .
It looks like the VPN tunnel is not working.
=======================================
Alright, I will try to upgrade to 5.33.9
Could not enable VPN in a normal reasonable time!
DEBUG information:
192.168.1.0/24 dev wlan0 scope link src 192.168.1.10
default via 192.168.1.1 dev wlan0 metric 10
# <persistent /etc/hosts content can be added to /etc/hosts.template file>
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost eneco-001-000000
172.24.16.1 feed.hae.int feed
127.0.0.1 ping.quby.nl
END DEBUG information
Quitting the upgrade. It was a nice try tho...
killall: openvpn: no process killed
============================================

Anyone an idea how to fix this ?
You mean toonrecovery? Did you backup and restore the vpn keys during the recovery? Please check your /etc/openvpn directory.
The toonrecovery menu should guide you into backing up and restoring your keys. Did you miss that?
Member of the Toon Software Collective
khunterh
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by khunterh »

Sorry , yes i missed that. Luckely i have a second rooted Toon and compared the directories. At the end i copied the complete directory en renamed the toon hostname also. So now i have two identical Toons exept the IP-adres. But it is upgraded now and both are working fine.
I thougt i could pick one of the menu. I wanted to restore so i started with that one. Then he says you havo to format first. So i did. Never understand i had to start with one.
But for now it is solved for me. Thanks for your reply and the good work.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

khunterh wrote:Sorry , yes i missed that. Luckely i have a second rooted Toon and compared the directories. At the end i copied the complete directory en renamed the toon hostname also. So now i have two identical Toons exept the IP-adres. But it is upgraded now and both are working fine.
I thougt i could pick one of the menu. I wanted to restore so i started with that one. Then he says you havo to format first. So i did. Never understand i had to start with one.
But for now it is solved for me. Thanks for your reply and the good work.
I think it even warns that the vpn key will be gone if you remove it without backing up (using option 1) :lol:

Two identical toons are ok, as long as they are used as rooted toons. Don't sell the fake toon with the duplicate key as a regular toon anymore though!
EricV
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by EricV »

It's not the last version. 5.33.100, 5.35.100 and 5.36.100 are newer but we do not recommend to install that.
Hi,
I have succesfully rooted my Toon1. Thanks to you guys here, nice job. Thermostate works fine, better then the Honewell which it has replaced.

However the software version is 5.36.100. Which seems to be a not-preferred option.

What to do: should I install the 5.33.9 software? And if so, how to do that? The update script does not want to install an older software version (makes sense).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Eric
TerrorSource
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TerrorSource »

EricV wrote:
Hi,
I have succesfully rooted my Toon1. Thanks to you guys here, nice job. Thermostate works fine, better then the Honewell which it has replaced.

However the software version is 5.36.100. Which seems to be a not-preferred option.

What to do: should I install the 5.33.9 software? And if so, how to do that? The update script does not want to install an older software version (makes sense).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Eric
5.36.100 > 5.33.9 is downgrading and thats not easy and recommended.

Just run the fixes and you should be fine.
EricV
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by EricV »

Ok, thanks. I already ran the update script with success, directly after rooting.

Everything is working fine, for about two months now. Quite happy with the result.
I was just wondering why the remark was made, in one of the previous posts, that upgrading to the newest version (5.36.100) was not (yet) recommended.
TerrorSource
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TerrorSource »

EricV wrote:Ok, thanks. I already ran the update script with success, directly after rooting.

Everything is working fine, for about two months now. Quite happy with the result.
I was just wondering why the remark was made, in one of the previous posts, that upgrading to the newest version (5.36.100) was not (yet) recommended.
Correct, we advise users to stay on 5.33.9 as later versions are not "officially" released yet and some are pulled.

for example:
mAiden

Post by mAiden »

There is nothing new in 5.36.100, no reason to update. These are test versions only because Quby is working on AWS.
Again we strongly advise against updating to these versions, stay at 5.33.9..
If you are going to update to 1 of these versions, such as 5.36.100, it is at your own risk !!
EricV
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by EricV »

If you are going to update to 1 of these versions, such as 5.36.100, it is at your own risk !!
This was exactly what made me concerned. And why i asked if it would be benificial to ‘downgrade’.
How difficult is downgrading? Start all over again from the beginning of the rooting process?
mAiden

Post by mAiden »

EricV wrote:
This was exactly what made me concerned. And why i asked if it would be benificial to ‘downgrade’.
How difficult is downgrading? Start all over again from the beginning of the rooting process?
Downgrade can with ToonRecovery, but you lose all of you're data!
If it works now, stay on it. Then you will not lose your data.
ArieKanarie
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by ArieKanarie »

TerrorSource wrote: Might but not sure if that works. Toon1 is a "slow" device and has just a bit of memory. Toon2 on the other hand is way faster.
Thanks, i guess I start looking for a toon2 then. Now it is not really workable.
HansS
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by HansS »

Good day folks!

Today I got a notification that there was new firmware (5.49.7) available. After checking the forum if it was safe to update, I initiated the update on my Toon2. After the update, the TSC menu was not there anymore, and all my apps and settings were gone.

I performed a reboot, which did not solve anything. I manually initiated an update, which gave an error:
[ERROR] Could not download TSC script from github!

I manually performed the curl command from the script, and indeed, no file was downloaded. By removing the s and f switches from the command, I could see what went wrong:

curl: (28) Resolving timed out after 2000 milliseconds

I changed this: --connect-timeout 30
Then the download worked. I changed the timeouts in the script and was able to update.

For some reason, DNS queries take a very long time on my Toon2. Both to my internal DNS-server as well as directly to one from Google for example. I cannot reproduce that on any other device in my network. Not sure what is going on there.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it, in case anyone else might come across this same situation.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

HansS wrote:Good day folks!

Today I got a notification that there was new firmware (5.49.7) available. After checking the forum if it was safe to update, I initiated the update on my Toon2. After the update, the TSC menu was not there anymore, and all my apps and settings were gone.

I performed a reboot, which did not solve anything. I manually initiated an update, which gave an error:
[ERROR] Could not download TSC script from github!

I manually performed the curl command from the script, and indeed, no file was downloaded. By removing the s and f switches from the command, I could see what went wrong:

curl: (28) Resolving timed out after 2000 milliseconds

I changed this: --connect-timeout 30
Then the download worked. I changed the timeouts in the script and was able to update.

For some reason, DNS queries take a very long time on my Toon2. Both to my internal DNS-server as well as directly to one from Google for example. I cannot reproduce that on any other device in my network. Not sure what is going on there.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it, in case anyone else might come across this same situation.
Please check /etc/resolv.conf on your toon. This should point to google DNS 8.8.8.8
Did you indeed check that same google dns server?

Return to “Toon Firmware”