Toon 2 controling smart radiator valves

If you don't know where to post, post here.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Toon 2 controling smart radiator valves

Post by TheHogNL »

Hi,

A few firmware release ago Quby started to add Smart Thermostat Radiator Valve support. In every new firmware the code is getting better. It seems to be somewhat complete now.

They seem to support, at least, the Fibaro radiator valves. As I don't own them I can't test it. But see the screenshot for some 'proof'.

It only works on a Toon2 as they have disabled it in software on a Toon1. Could probably be enabled but I think the Toon1 is too slow to support it properly. If someone wants a modified resource file for a Toon1 on which this is enabled, let me know.

The options you need on a Toon2 to enable it:
- Add this in TenantSettings.json file: "appStrvFeatureEnabled": true,
- Change "boiler|false" to "heating|true" in the same file
Reset to factory defaults. Then the wizard will ask you if you want CV-ketel or smart trv's.
Member of the Toon Software Collective
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Toon 2 controling smart radiator valves

Post by TheHogNL »

I'm now pretty sure this won't work on a Toon1 as it is missing a crucial application (called happ_hvac).
Also, I'm wondering if this setup will control the boiler. It looks like it just controls the valves and the system should always have running warm water in it (weersafhankelijke regeling).
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

I have been playing around a bit more with this. Just bought myself a Fibaro STRV to connect to my development toon2.

Results:
- The fibaro STRV has a product bug (also see the fibaro forums) where the STRV doesn't report the internal temperature to the controller (in this case the toon). Only when coupled with the external bluetooth temp. sensor this works. A new firmware 4.5 should be released soon which should enable this but if you read the fibaro forums you can see that the members there are not expecting it to work properly as the interal sensor is to close to the radiator. This means that, if Eneco launches the Fibaro STRV feature they will need to provide those external bluetooth sensors.
- Including the STRV in the toon is easy, just like a plug or a meteradapter.
- due to the bug the STRV isn't showing the temperature on my toon (haven't got the bluetooth sensor)
- changing the temperature setpoint on the STRV using the Toon seems to work, but is has some unnown delay and after a while I do hear the motor of the STRV opening or closing the valve
- each STRV becomes a seperate ZONE in the Toon which you then can give a seperate program and setpoint. So if your room has more than one radiator this becomes a problem as your room is immediatly divides into multiples zones
- making a week schedule is only possible using the toon app (and therefore you need a subscription to Toon). This is probably because programming multiple zones week schedules is hard to do on a screen on the toon (or the Quby programmers are to lazy :lol: )
- the Toon doesn't seem to control the boiler anymore so to have this working you will need a boiler set on 'weersafhankelijk' (weather dependent) which allows the boiler to run its own program (this is very costly though as the boiler is always running)
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Marcelr just installed a danfoss lc13 thermostat on his toon2 and it works also he told me. As the danfoss doesn't report actual temperature it is like my fibaro. The Toon can set the setpoint on the thermostat. So this confirms that not only fibaro thermostats but probably some others work also.
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

TheHogNL wrote: - the Toon doesn't seem to control the boiler anymore so to have this working you will need a boiler set on 'weersafhankelijk' (weather dependent) which allows the boiler to run its own program (this is very costly though as the boiler is always running)
Small correction: TheHogNL did a factory reset to enable the STRV's. This wipes the week programme. Without the factory reset ('dumpmeuk' in qubyspeak), the week programme remains intact and keeps controlling the boiler. At least, that's what I find when I'm testing with an OTGW as interface between my heating model and the thermostat. It's too cold outside to do a lot of live experimenting right now...

To be continued ...
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Yes this probably means that all logic to control the thermostat still exists. Only the GUI part is removed. So creating a schedule using a 'copied' TSC version of the GUI program thermostat screen would still allow us to control the thermostat using that schedule. This would allow us to only burn the heater when at home.

Also, with some logic in the GUI we could put the boiler in manual mode (just like you can do now on the GUI) and set the setpoint to be higher than the room temperature to heat up the heater when one of the STRV's configured in the Toon is colder than its individual setpoint. This needs STRV's with temp. reporting though.

Putting logic in the GUI to control the heater is not preferred. Quby does all the logic in the happ_ and hdrv_ apps in /qmf/sbin. The GUI is only for setting the configs right. It is only so weird that Quby doesn't seem to think it is necessary to control the heater when a STRV is requesting heat.
WickedMaster

Post by WickedMaster »

I've got a Z-Wave Eurotronic Comet Heating Valve and I tried to attach it to my Toon 2. The pairing seems to be successful and I can also request information from the Z-Wave advanced page (hdrv_zwave). But, after it's paired to the Toon, I've to set a name, but there Toon doesn't see my valve online. Not sure why it isn't going to the finish step.

marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

Same here.

My danfoss LC13's are fine, the eurotronic gets included and then forgotten.
I think by running the zwave software in verbose mode, we should be able to see something, as to why it isn't working. To be done later next week.
BOverdevest
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by BOverdevest »

It is only so weird that Quby doesn't seem to think it is necessary to control the heater when a STRV is requesting heat.
This is probably because Eneco intends to use this set-up in combination with District Heating (Stadsverwarming), like in Rotterdam.
So for systems without a boiler and immediate supply of hot water.
B Overdevest
Rooted Toon, Raspberry 3B+, Domoticz
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

BOverdevest wrote:
It is only so weird that Quby doesn't seem to think it is necessary to control the heater when a STRV is requesting heat.
This is probably because Eneco intends to use this set-up in combination with District Heating (Stadsverwarming), like in Rotterdam.
Yes that is probably true. However modifying the code a bit to control the heater when needed would also allow this set-up in a boiler heated house. Just like the Honeywell Evohome.
timkoers

Post by timkoers »

TheHogNL wrote:
BOverdevest wrote:
Yes that is probably true. However modifying the code a bit to control the heater when needed would also allow this set-up in a boiler heated house. Just like the Honeywell Evohome.
Can the current Toon2 or TSC software be used to still control the boiler and the STRV?
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

timkoers wrote: Can the current Toon2 or TSC software be used to still control the boiler and the STRV?
It is a while ago I looked at this but from my memory they disable all thermostat functions. But some modification could still check if one of the valves is requesting heat and then signal an external relay to switch on the boiler (without any opentherm ofcourse).
timkoers

Post by timkoers »

TheHogNL wrote:Yes this probably means that all logic to control the thermostat still exists. Only the GUI part is removed. So creating a schedule using a 'copied' TSC version of the GUI program thermostat screen would still allow us to control the thermostat using that schedule. This would allow us to only burn the heater when at home.

Also, with some logic in the GUI we could put the boiler in manual mode (just like you can do now on the GUI) and set the setpoint to be higher than the room temperature to heat up the heater when one of the STRV's configured in the Toon is colder than its individual setpoint. This needs STRV's with temp. reporting though.

Putting logic in the GUI to control the heater is not preferred. Quby does all the logic in the happ_ and hdrv_ apps in /qmf/sbin. The GUI is only for setting the configs right. It is only so weird that Quby doesn't seem to think it is necessary to control the heater when a STRV is requesting heat.
So this is not yet implemented?
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

timkoers wrote:
TheHogNL wrote:Yes this probably means that all logic to control the thermostat still exists. Only the GUI part is removed. So creating a schedule using a 'copied' TSC version of the GUI program thermostat screen would still allow us to control the thermostat using that schedule. This would allow us to only burn the heater when at home.

Correct. STRV mods on the TSC side are at 0%. And from quby there doesn't seem to be any action also. Things are possible and with the right mindset it can be done. But first you need a use case and someone willing to code for that.
timkoers

Post by timkoers »

TheHogNL wrote:
timkoers wrote:

Correct. STRV mods on the TSC side are at 0%. And from quby there doesn't seem to be any action also. Things are possible and with the right mindset it can be done. But first you need a use case and someone willing to code for that.
I've got the use case and I am willing to code it. :)

The only problem, I only have a Toon 1 and no STRV's

Return to “Toon miscellaneous”