Second toon connected as slave?

If you don't know where to post, post here.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

felixus
Starting Member
Starting Member

Second toon connected as slave?

Post by felixus »

I have been using a rooted Toon for a while now, works great!
I was wondering if it is possible to have a second toon up and running and showing the same heating data as the first one? (not as a second heating zone, my heater does not support this)
Will this work by connecting it in parallel to the thermostat or should it only be connected to lan and have an extra bridge setting that requests all data from the first master Toon?
Has something like this even been asked/built? I looked around the forum but couldn't find anything.
Thanks
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Second toon connected as slave?

Post by TheHogNL »

Interesting question. What is exactly the use-case? Just want to see the heating status from another place in your house? Or also want to manipulate (set the setpoint higher, change the schedule etc)?

Not an easy solution though. Requires a lot of code changes.
Member of the Toon Software Collective
Ierlandfan

Post by Ierlandfan »

How about an old 7" tablet and use VNC to display the exact content of Toon? VNC is available on a (rooted) Toon.
Set setpoint, see Graphs, all is possible in this easy to create setup. (But what's the fun of easy :-)
TerrorSource
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TerrorSource »

I can understand the use-case. Place multiple Toon's in house as domoticascreens and thermostat control.
Cheaper then tablets or Pi's with a touch screen i guess.

I think that the easiest option is to connect the Toon's to Domoticz and do a compare, if Toon1 is the main and Toon2 is sub it should be:
Toon1 different then Toon2 > Edit Toon2
Toon2 different then Toon1 > Edit Toon1

Same Domoticz method i use for "hotel switching". This is my script, should give you an idea.

Code: Select all

local MASTER = 'WS1_Overloop0_BG'
local SLAVE = 'Overloop1'

return {
	on = {
		devices = {
			MASTER,
			SLAVE
		}
	},
    execute = function(domoticz, device, triggerInfo)
        if (domoticz.EVENT_TYPE_TIMER == triggerInfo.type) then
            domoticz.log( 'timer event: '..tostring(triggerInfo.trigger)..'.', domoticz.LOG_INFO)

elseif (domoticz.EVENT_TYPE_DEVICE == triggerInfo.type) then
            if (device.name == MASTER) then
                if (device.state ~= domoticz.devices(SLAVE).state) then
                    domoticz.devices(SLAVE).setState(device.state).silent()
                end
            elseif (device.name == SLAVE) then
                if (device.state ~= domoticz.devices(MASTER).state) then
                    domoticz.devices(MASTER).setState(device.state).silent()
                end
            end
        end
    end
}
felixus
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by felixus »

Hi, thanks for your quick reply.
Yes, preferably also change the setpoint, but read-only would also be fine. From your answer I see that this has not been asked before.
My use case would be the second Toon thermostat on a different level of the house where I would be able to see and also be able to change the settings of the thermostat (without having my phone close by). On the other Toon I would have different tiles more suited to that part of the house.
So @ierlandfan, to address your workaround, yes that could work, but a second "slave" Toon would be a more elegant and flexible solution. Also, i have read that keeping vncserver on for extended periods of time hogs memory and makes the whole toon (1) slow.
@TerrorSource, thanks for the ideas, I will take a look at it, however I mostly use openhab for my home automation setup, but will see if I can implement this there or setup a domoticz instance on a server or spare pi. However i will have to do more research to see how to externally change the state of temperature and boiler status on a Toon, it normally receives that from internal sensor and the opentherm connection.

Return to “Toon miscellaneous”