Toon App: Twinkly lights

Forum about forum-provided applications on Toon

Moderators: marcelr, TerrorSource, Toonz, TheHogNL

Toon App: Twinkly lights

Postby Toonz » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:16 pm

Hi all,

I just published in ToonStore the initial release 1.0.1 of a new app to control your Twinkly Christmas decoration lights.
This first release contains the bare minimum functionality to switch the lights on and off or start a demo light show.
The apps contains one tile. At first use, clicking on the tile will bring you to the configuration screen to enter the ip-address/hostname of your Twinkly lights.

Once configured, the lights can be switched on and off by clicking on the light bulb on the tile.
Clicking next to the light bulb opens the main screen with more functionality like starting the timer, demo show and switching the lights on and off.

Comments on this release:
- when the twinkly lights are first configured, the name of the twinkly lights is not yet shown on the configuration screen,
Entering the configuration screen a second time will show the correct name of the Twinkly, you can also give it your own name here.
- for now the menu and tray icons are the same as the domoticz application. Over time new icons will be created for this app.

Future items to add:
- include some 'movies' from the official Twinkly app
- implement my own set of light effects (proposals are welcome)
- automatic finding of the Twinkly device(s) via UDP broadcast (not sure yet whether Toon supports this)
- support for multiple strings of Twinkly lights
- …..

Happy to hear your views what an app like this should be capable of.
N.B. I am not affiliated in any way, shape or form with the Twinkly company. Their lights are just a lot of fun.
I started this app because it allows the whole family to control the lights from Toon instead of having to use the Twinkly app on your phone/ipad

N.N.B. Apologies for not having this done way before Christmas. The good News: I am right on time for Christmas 2020 :-)

Kind regardz,

Toonz
member of the Toon Software Collective
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Toon App: Twinkly lights

Postby Edwin66 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:24 am

Just bought some iSparkle. Wish I had known this before then I would have bought Twinkly lights. Well, there is always next year
Toon® (rooted) | Hue bulbs | TRÅDFRI bulbs | Smart Plug | Domoticz latest BETA |

I'm not a programmer, just wish things work MY way
Edwin66

Re: Toon App: Twinkly lights

Postby Toonz » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:33 am

Yes, it is just one of the many manufacturers of such kit.
I am making quite some progress on the Twinkly app though.
Now creating my own 'movie' effects on the fly on Toon, a bit like the mobile phone app is doing.
With easy color selection via a clickable color map on Toon.
Anyway, more stuff will be released later in the year (I am focussing on the core functionality now, not so much on the user interface yet)
member of the Toon Software Collective
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Toon Apps