Everything about rooting Toons 1 and 2.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

steffie
Starting Member
Starting Member

problem rooting toon1 with rootscript

Post by steffie »

Hi,
I have some issues with rooting a toon1.
My nc on my OS does not have the -N parameter.
(I am using a raspberry Pi Desktop in VMware. It is based on debian10-Buster.)
But apparently the netcat on debian doesn't have the -N parameter that is used in the script so that's where my first issues were.
As a test i did remove the -N parameter in the script, and then the script appears to be going some steps further but I still eventually get stuck.

I have connected the toon1 wired via an ethernet cable. It is seen by my linux and it connects. after modifying the script a bit I do get the message that the toon is found and on what IP it is trying to connect the service center but after that nothing happens anymore.

I think the toon has been completely reset. It is in the 4 step process of initial installation.
Anyone can point me in the right direction? :)

Tnx!
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: problem rooting toon1 with rootscript

Post by TheHogNL »

The readme states that you need raspbian buster or be prepared to fix it yourself.
But a toon1 is easily rooted in the older way. You don't need the software trick for that.

Also, you could take a look a the laptop root a toon method which has overcome the older netcat issue. https://github.com/JackV2020/Root-A-Toon-USB-Stick
Member of the Toon Software Collective
steffie
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by steffie »

Tnx for the hints and tips.
running into new issues. I installed a fresh copy of raspbian but this has default python3,
And for the process to work it needs the packages python-serial and python-cryptography.
But I can't seem to get those installed on raspbian (Package 'python-serial' has no installation candadate).
I have been searching a bit but can't seem to find out what to do to get these packages.

I did install python2.7 and made that the default.
steffie
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by steffie »

I did manage to root my toon last week with the jtag connection and the scripts.
But now I think I am stuck with a Toon with old firmware, and still un-activated.

I can't seem to fully understand what I should do next? Any suggestions or hints towards reading material?
Tnx!!!
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

steffie wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:45 am I did manage to root my toon last week with the jtag connection and the scripts.
But now I think I am stuck with a Toon with old firmware, and still un-activated.

I can't seem to fully understand what I should do next? Any suggestions or hints towards reading material?
Tnx!!!
https://github.com/ToonSoftwareCollective/update-rooted
Member of the Toon Software Collective
steffie
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by steffie »

The update-rooted didn't completely workout for me
Any tips again on how to fix the openssl error on the Toon?

edit:I managed to circumvent the old openssl via a manual generation of the privatekey via "openssl -genrsa -out device.key 1048" and commenting the creation of this in the script.
But the next hurdle is the old version of Curl. the installed version of curl doesn't have the --data-raw parameter. So i am not sure how to create/send the vpn certificate signing request to quby.
Maybe someone can help me doing that? I noticed that the old version of curl also had problems downloading or sending data via https anyway.

Can I do the CSR via another linuxbox and copy the correct files back to the Toon?

Code: Select all

eneco-001-XXXXXX:~# sh update-rooted.sh -v 6.0.9
===================================================================================================================================================================
Welcome to the rooted Toon upgrade script. This script will try to upgrade your Toon using your original connection with Eneco. It will start the VPN if necessary.
Please be advised that running this script is at your own risk!

Version: 4.76  - TheHogNL - 24-09-2022

===================================================================================================================================================================

Forcing version: 6.0.9
This toon contains old VPN certificates. Need to request new certificates!
We are on a Toon 1 so we need to request new certificates before being able to create a VPN connection...
openssl:Error: 'genpkey' is an invalid command.
Last edited by steffie on Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Toon Rooting”