Question about developing tiles

Everything about software tools, new software development and toolchains. For developers, mostly.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

Appiekap653
Starting Member
Starting Member

Question about developing tiles

Post by Appiekap653 »

Hello,

Is it possible to create dynamic tiles in a toon app?

The idea:

Create a generic tile source file with basic layout, icon, tekst, functions etc. Let's say some sort of interface class.
Then...
Create a copy of that file in the storage folder from within my app and insert some parameter values like the specific icon, tekst, on click actions etc. Let's say some sort of instance class using the interface.
Then....
Load those tiles in the main view of the toon according to settings chosen in the app.

Is something like this possible?
Maybe through copying of tile files and editing the application manifest settings to add the tiles / or maybe through dynamic provisioning of tiles from code.

Has anyone some experience with this?

I want to make an application where in the main screen you can add some entities with some parameters. Then when you click a button those entities are created as tiles in the toon's main view.
The tiles click actions need to be different for each created tile.
Also the tile icon and tekst need to be different.

I already have the idea this principle is possible for your own app main screen, I just want to know if it is possible for the tiles in toon's main screen.

Thank you very much in advance.

With regard,

Arjen
oepi-loepi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Question about developing tiles

Post by oepi-loepi »

Yes it is possible but the tiles will only be created when the gui is reloades. So you create the tiles and modify the app and the you reload the gui.
Appiekap653
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Appiekap653 »

oepi-loepi wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:43 pm Yes it is possible but the tiles will only be created when the gui is reloades. So you create the tiles and modify the app and the you reload the gui.
Thank you very much for your reaction.

That's great to hear :)
Reloading the GUI to populate the tiles is no problem for the application I have in mind.

Is it possible to instantiate the reloading from the application code?

If possible it will make it more user friendly for inexperienced users. Otherwise it will just have to be mentioned in the documentation.
Appiekap653 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:18 pmMaybe through copying of tile files and editing the application manifest settings to add the tiles / or maybe through dynamic provisioning of tiles from code
Do you know which form from above is possible and which not, or maybe both?
oepi-loepi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by oepi-loepi »

please find example in toonTemp:
https://github.com/ToonSoftwareCollective/toonTemp

here the tiles are populated:ToonTempApp.qml

function replaceWidgetSettings is taking care of the visible tiles

rebootTimer is taking care of the restart of the qui
Appiekap653
Starting Member