strange readout power use with newly installed solar panels

If you don't know where to post, post here.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

Plumifrons
Starting Member
Starting Member

strange readout power use with newly installed solar panels

Post by Plumifrons »

Yesterday my solar panels (zonneplan) were installed, but there seems something odd about the read out of my rooted toon 1.

I'm using the IR-reader to get the data from my electricity meter, it doesn't have a p1 port unfortunately. It looks that it is showing my normal use from the grid AND the production of my panels. So i get 3500 W when I know my house should be using about 500 W (production of about 3000 W).

Still strange, as I would expect I shouldn't take anything from the grid as I'm producing more than I use, so I'm confused... :roll:

Is this due to the difference in readout by a P1 port and the IR port? Or are my panels installed improperly?
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: strange readout power use with newly installed solar panels

Post by TheHogNL »

Plumifrons wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:46 am Yesterday my solar panels (zonneplan) were installed, but there seems something odd about the read out of my rooted toon 1.

I'm using the IR-reader to get the data from my electricity meter, it doesn't have a p1 port unfortunately. It looks that it is showing my normal use from the grid AND the production of my panels. So i get 3500 W when I know my house should be using about 500 W (production of about 3000 W).

Still strange, as I would expect I shouldn't take anything from the grid as I'm producing more than I use, so I'm confused... :roll:

Is this due to the difference in readout by a P1 port and the IR port? Or are my panels installed improperly?
Yes. The led doesn't care about the direction of the power flow. It just lights up every few WattHour it sees passing. So also in the grid direction it is still pulsing.

For good view on the Toon you need a smart meter with P1 (showing both values for both directions) AND a production meter (seperate meter on the PV side) which can be a simple kWh meter met led pulse or a Qubino wireless Zwave meter.
Member of the Toon Software Collective
Plumifrons
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: strange readout power use with newly installed solar panels

Post by Plumifrons »

ah, thanks. Just as I suspected. Going to disable my toon - data in Home Assistant as it is messing up my energy use statistics now.

Going to apply for a smart meter with a p1 port now :|

Return to “Toon miscellaneous”