I just want to turn it off :)

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

mcc05
Starting Member
Starting Member

I just want to turn it off :)

Post by mcc05 »

So I managed to get an Nodo shop gateway and its great. However I have an Ideal boiler system with Ideal Halo Lite thermostat.

Unfortunately this thermostat does not understand remote override so I can't set a new temp etc.

I'm ok with this but one thing I would like to do is just have the ability to turn off the system, i.e. for geofencing from say Home assistant. So I've tried the CS command (set to frost protection say 5degrees) with CH to turn it off, but after reading the notes found that this need to be repeated every min otherwise the gateway reverts to letting the thermostat control.

Is there another way just to say heh stay off i.e. ignore the thermostat until told to follow, or override the timing requirement of the CS command for an off state?
hvxl

Re: I just want to turn it off :)

Post by hvxl »

If you have a PIC16F88, you could use an old firmware version that didn't yet have the CS safety feature (5.1 was the last one without it).

I suppose I could relinquish the requirement to repeat the CS command for temperatures below some threshold. Let's say 8 degrees. That way people can use CS=10 when they don't want heating with the safety feature, or CS=5 for no heating and no safety. I didn't make it that way because simply timing out all values required less code. As you may know, there is not much code space left in the PIC16F88.
Schelte
mcc05
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by mcc05 »

Nope I'm on a P16F1847

Anything would be great, even a "use at your own risk" command to disable the timeouts on the commands, or a CH type command that does the
absolute meaning regardless of the CS value, GW tells boiler CH off or on.

My boiler ignores the CS from the thermostat it seems anyway as it has a weather compensation thermostat attached to the boiler, as the thermostat sends various values but the boiler but it does its own happy thing with the heating set point value.

Many thank for the work this is an awesome project one that I am glad I found and managed to get a Nodoshop version shipped to the UK via friends in Europe :)
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

If your boiler doesn't respect the CS value it receives, does it then not also ignore the CH bit?
Schelte
mcc05
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by mcc05 »

It respects the CH bit, if I do CS=something and then CH=0 the boiler goes off, CH=1 boiler on. Just think it uses is own the weather comp setting curve to determine the CS values.

If I give it a CS value of say 70, it will look at the outside temp and determine its own heating value of say for 10 outside, 50 is what it does etc.
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Firmware versions 5.8 and 6.5 will not expire CS (and C2) settings below 8. So, I suggest that people who want the fail safe feature use CS=10 (and CH=0) when no heating is needed. People who "just want to turn it off" can use CS=5.
Schelte
mcc05
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by mcc05 »

Many thanks for this!!!!!

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”