This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

PPee
Starting Member
Starting Member

Setup of otmonitor.conf

Post by PPee »

Hi all,

I have an OTGW working connected to my LAN with a NodeMCU (from NodoShop). This is working fine for most days, sometimes it randomly reboots. To monitor this I'm trying to install otmonitor in a docker container on a separate raspberry pi. I'm using mc303/docker-otmonitor-aarch64:latest.
The docker runs, but seems to be missing a config file otmonitor.conf. I cannot connect to it via the webUI.

The raw otmonitor.conf file is like this:

Code: Select all

web {
  enable true
  port 3480
  nopass true
}
connection {
  enable true
  type tcp
  host ${otgw.host}
  port ${otgw.port}
}
mqtt {
  enable true
  broker ${mqtt.broker}
  port ${mqtt.port}
  username ${mqtt.username}
  password ${mqtt.password}
  devicetype central_heating
  deviceid otmonitor
  format unformatted
}
server {
  enable true
  port 7686
  relay true
}
clock {
  year true
  date true
  auto true
}
I can't find any documentation on how to configure this file. So my question is how to configure this
- so I can reach otmonitor via the webui and
- connect the otmonitor via the lan to the OTGW

Thx for any help
PPee
skippy
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Setup of otmonitor.conf

Post by skippy »

Hi PPee,
Coincidentally I did the same also today. To make it work I created the otmonitor.conf file myself (in the mapped folder) before deploying the container.

In my original file I just put:

web {
  enable true
  port 8880
  nopass true
}
connection {
  device /dev/ttyUSB1
  type tcp
  enable true
}
After deploying the container I went to "ip adress":8880 and entered the web-server (Opentherm Gateway Status Summary). From there I was able to go to "configure" and do the rest of the configuration. After I completed the configuration the 'otmonitor.conf' file was updated with all my changed configuration variables. For example I don't use the /dev/ttyUSB1 but a TCP connection and the values I entered during configuration are now correct in the otmonitor.conf.

Hope this helps
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

The format of the configuration file is not documented because you are not supposed to edit it manually. It can be created and modified by configuring otmonitor via the Options menu entry.

To be able to do that, otmonitor should be started with either a GUI or a web interface. Unfortunately, the docker image does neither. The developers of the docker image should have added something like '-w 8080' to the otmonitor command. Then users wouldn't have to jump through the kind of hoops skippy described.

The docker image also seems to use a very old version of otmonitor (4.2.4). So I would suggest to rebuild the image using the latest otmonitor version. When you do that, you can also add '-w 8080' to the command.

If that is too daunting, you can basically use the method skippy describes. You don't actually need the connection part in the initial config file. Just the web section should suffice. Also note that you may have to adjust the command you use to start docker depending on the port specified in the web section. In your otmonitor.conf you are using port 3480. Then the docker command should be:

docker run -d -p 8080:3480 -v $(pwd)/otmonitor.conf:/data/otmonitor.conf mc303/docker-otmonitor-aarch64:latest
Then you can access the otmonitor web interface with your web browser via http://dockerhost:8080/ (where dockerhost is the name or IP address of the raspberry pi running your docker image).
Schelte
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

PPee wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:34 am I have an OTGW working connected to my LAN with a NodeMCU (from NodoShop). This is working fine for most days, sometimes it randomly reboots.
What reboots? The PIC or the NodeMCU? If it's the PIC, you can use the PR=Q command to find out why it restarted the last time. If it's the NodeMCU, which firmware are you using on that?
Schelte
PPee
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by PPee »

OK, Thx all for your info.
I got it working now. I've access to the web GUI and from there I've configured everything. Indeed an older version of OTMonitor, but rebuilding the docker is just on bridge too far for me...
Anyway, the random reboots still continue. 29 times in the passed two weeks. I can't find a hint of what's wrong in the log-file. The reboot system says that the last reboot reason is "external system". So maybe it is the NodeMCU loosing connection, I don't know.
Configuration is in screenshot. It is connected to a Remeha Calenta 40L Central Heating system. Besides the reboots the system responds well to the OTGW control.
Any suggestion what to check?
Thx, PPee
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 18.57.47.png
Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 18.57.47.png (169.25 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Those are reboots of the ESP8266. But "External System" means a hardware reset. Someone pressed the Reset button on the NodeMCU?
Schelte
PPee
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by PPee »

mmm, but I'm sure nobody touched the reset button. What could cause the reset?
BartSr
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by BartSr »

hi PPee,
an off-topic Q
Is your otgw also controlled via automation?
Since a few days I m using this same software whereas I can monitor a bunch of data but cannot set an override setpoint.
I m using domoticz
Bart

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”