This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

jan341
Starting Member
Starting Member

Clarification communcation model OTGW and OTmonitor

Post by jan341 »

Context

It appears that my specific thermostat and boiler minimize the boiler water temperature. In my specific case the set room temperature is reached in a too long time period. The boiler has plenty of power, it just is throttled down by not adjustable algoritms in boiler and thermostat.
Maybe I can circumvent this behaviour by manipulating either the room set point (if room set point is more than 3 degrees above actual room temp than the thormostat does send a high enough control set point) or by manipulating the control set point itself.
I can do all this by hand with OTmonitor but in the end I need a programming interface on the OTGW.

Question

How does the sending of message values, errors and thermostat power status by OTGW on (I presume) random moments work together with receiving commands from OTmonitor ?

Is the communication between OTmonitor and OTGW a stop and wait protocol ? Who is the client and who is the server ?
hvxl

Re: Clarification communcation model OTGW and OTmonitor

Post by hvxl »

The PIC communicates at 9600 baud. This speed was chosen to make sure the code has enough time to handle each command before the next one arrives. It simply is not possible to send commands quickly and overrun the input buffer. So you don't have to wait for a response before sending the next one. Multiple commands will actually be queued in whatever device takes care of the serial communication. If you try hard enough, you could overrun the buffer of that device.

Only when you run the PS=1 command, the output may be messed up if you send another command before the complete line is returned. But then again, you really shouldn't use the PS=1 command for serious communication with the OTGW.
Schelte

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”