Infrequent room temperature measurements

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

mtijink
Starting Member
Starting Member

Infrequent room temperature measurements

Post by mtijink »

I am attempting to build my own heating control system, and want to use OTGW as a key tool for this. I just installed the OTGW and the Honeywell Lyric T6 thermostat (both new), and it seems the OTGW and thermostat are working fine.

However, the room temperature data I get from the OTGW does not change very often, only once per 20 minutes to once per hour (not in a regular pattern). Any ideas how to fix this?

I do see room temperature messages from the thermostat every minute or so, but the value itself usually does not change.

Code: Select all

10:53:53.538898	T90181430	Write-Data	Room temperature: 20.19
10:53:53.540487	B50181430	Write-Ack 	Room temperature: 20.19
I'm using the Nodoshop OTGW with firmware 6.5, Demos W1 firmware 0.10.2. I can see the issue with both the OTMonitor and MQTT (both WiFi). The lyric T6 has two devices, the thermostat and a "boiler box". I connected the OTGW between the boiler and "boiler box", not between the boiler box and thermostat.
hvxl

Re: Infrequent room temperature measurements

Post by hvxl »

The OTGW reports the information it receives from the thermostat and boiler. It does not make up values or report old data. So it must be that the Lyric T6 is reporting the same temperature for long periods of time. I have no idea why a thermostat would do that. Sometimes battery powered RF thermostats exhibit this behavior, possibly to extend battery life. But the Lyric T6 is a wired thermostat. Maybe the same firmware is shared between the T6 and its wireless counterpart, the T6R. This could cause the T6 to also only report the room temperature to the boiler box infrequently. The boiler box then just keeps reporting the last temperature it received in the opentherm messages.

Unfortunately there is not much you can do about this, except complain to the thermostat manufacturer and trying to get them to update the firmware. The problem is, the room temperature is not needed to control your boiler. So this problem does not affect most people. As a result, the manufacturer is probably not going to be very motivated to fix it just for you.
Schelte

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”