Eaton/Moeller mixed with Homecontrolbox?

Forum about Xanura, Eaton Holec and Marmitek and other brand X10 and A10 devices.
jantjebeton
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by jantjebeton »

Hi all,

First of all, i`m a newbie in the world of domotics, but i`m working as an automation engineer in the process industry.

Because we (me and my girlfriend) are planning to buy us a house and do some renovation I can`t resist tu put some automation in it.

I am in a doubt to use either the Eaton Xanura system or the Moeller Xcomfort system. Both systems are more or less the same, but there are some differences.

Advantages of Moeller:
* Wireless modules, but is it reliable and interference-free?
* Nice RoomManager interface
* Nice HomeManager interface

Advantages of Eaton:
* Hard-wired communication
* no hassle with battery-operated wallswitches

I think I`d prefer the Eaton system, just because of the communication over mains, but i prefer the use of the roommanagers of Moeller. (temperature, scene settings)

I know both systems are working with the HomeControlBox, but do they have different o/s or interfaces? Or can i just put all modules in a mix to use them together?

Regards, Jeroen
Henk

Post by Henk »

Jeroen,

It is not possible to run both Eaton and Moeller interfaces from one HCB ...

The Eaton HCB has its own X10/A10 interface inside the box and Moeller has an external USB RF interface ... even loading other firmware (like Moeller firmware in an Eaton HCB and add the USB RF interface will not work - although it is possible even a combination - because same hardware platform and a lot of the same coding - but sadly it is protected by the manufacturers even both belonging to one company Eaton).

So you have to make up your mind ... one sollution is to use two HCB's

Also be aware the Moeller actors are larger they are 26mm high and not easy to place them behind a build-in outlet. You need a separate box to put them away but they have external actors so easy pluggable if you like an external actor box. The RF switches are nice and you can place them anywhere .... but you have to use their wallplate design and can't select another brand of wallplates like Xanura will offer you ....

Indeed the Moeller sensors are nice but also Eaton has Visonic sensors ... so not an easy choice .. .let us know what you will decide.

Henk

Return to “X10, A10 Xanura Marmitek Forum”