Using camera's as motion detectors with Blue Iris and HS

Forum All about Webcams, IP Camera's & Camera's (hardware, software, pan tilt zoom etc).

Moderator: Esteban

Droezel

Using camera's as motion detectors with Blue Iris and HS

Post by Droezel »

I thought I'd share this one with you all.

Yesterday I purchased the Blue Iris camera recording software (http://blueirissoftware.com/) I Must say it works truly superb for its price ($49.95) compared to other software packages.

I'm using 5 Axis camera's and a Foscam PTZ inside my house and got the idea to use them as a motion detector.

I set up a new virtual Windows Server 2008 x86 with 1gb of RAM, installed and configured the Blue Iris software (needed to disable UAC and install the Windows Desktop Experience to make in work). The Blue Iris software runs as a service on the virtual machine so I do not have to log on to the machine.
To communicate with Homeseer I also installed the Homeseer speaker client on the server, it does not have to be running but by installing it you can use HS scripting commands in a vbscript file.

In Homeseer, create an event you want to trigger in case of motion, for example:
HomeSeerEvent.JPG
HomeSeerEvent.JPG (23.33 KiB) Viewed 8768 times
Create a vbs file on your machine with Blue Iris installed and put this in it:

Code: Select all

strEvent = Wscript.Arguments(0)  

Set hsi = CreateObject("HomeSeer2.application")
hsi.SetHost("10.111.0.2:8742")
rval = hsi.Connect("username", "password")
If rval <> "" Then
   MsgBox(rval)
End If

Set hs = hsi.GetHSRef

hs.triggerEvent strEvent
Last step is to configure blue Iris to enable motion detection and enable an alert as shown below:
Motion.JPG
Motion.JPG (59.32 KiB) Viewed 8768 times
Alerts.JPG
Alerts.JPG (55.12 KiB) Viewed 8768 times
AlertDetail.JPG
AlertDetail.JPG (32.19 KiB) Viewed 8768 times
I must say this really works very good, I have 3 virtual machines running with HyperV on an intel 3Ghz Core2 with 8Gb of RAM. The BlueIris software recording 6 camera's uses almost no CPU.
CPU.JPG
CPU.JPG (52.6 KiB) Viewed 8768 times
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Using camera's as motion detectors with Blue Iris and HS

Post by drmacchi »

Hi , i have it since some time.
this is my old post

http://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2113

What will be powerful is a script from HS that could move PTZ cam to some preset positions (like Ninja plugin HS)
ciao !

Return to “Webcams & Camera Stuff Forum”