Visonic Powerlink RS232 Hack

Forum about Visonic products like Powermax Plus and Powermax Pro

Moderators: Rene, Willem4ever

Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

From a very sunny and hot Italy: I created a sniffer cable. See http://embeddedfreak.wordpress.com/2008 ... g-circuit/
utz
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Visonic Powerlink RS232 Hack

Post by utz »

Did anyone figure out howto

1) Get the AUX button of a powermax keyfob to generate a message on the serial port. I would like to use the keyfob AUX button to trigger action in my home automation system.
2) Send commands via rs232 to trigger X10 commands. That way I could use the powermax as cheap X10 interface for my home automation system.

Utz
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

I guess you should connect the aux. button to a dummy action .... in order for the visonic to process it and to spit it out on the serial interface.
utz
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by utz »

Whatever I program for the aux button I do not get a message on the serial line ...
utz
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by utz »

All,

did anyone of you with a powerlink found out any more useful command messages we can send? So far we can arm/disarm but there are so much more things that could be done. For example, voice on/off, chime on/off, mute siren, x10 commands. Also it should be possible to get more info, for example, x10 status or communications definitions.
herwin
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by herwin »

Hi,

I've started to write my own PHP code. Can you please explain what kind of 0xAB messages must be send to Establishing connection to the powerlink? My Pin code is set!

you write, the AB message below, but i cant find the message.

thanx
Establishing connection
Communication can be established by sending an AB message (see messages below) to the Powermax. The Powermax will respond with a Panel ACK message. All messages sent by the Powermax must be responded to with an ACK message. If messages are not acknowledged the communication drops and has to be re-initialised sending an AB message.
utz
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by utz »

0xAB 0x0A 0x00 0x01 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x43

should work to initialisze (its described above, not below)
herwin
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by herwin »

Thanx!

Other question, i'm working on my PHP script to show the status of the alarm system on my webpage.

When my script is running, the Powermax without alarms all runs perfect. But when i quit my program to change some code, the powermax goes into troube state: "Powerlink comfout".
is there a way to not report a Comfout?!
utz
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by utz »

I have not seen this on my powermax+ (You might have a newer version or a pwermaxpro). I think you can configure the fault report behavior on the powermax itself. For example, I think you can disable to throw an alarm when the phone line is interrupted. There should be as well an option not to complain on other things.

Basically, the powermax will send periodically messages to your software which then need to be acked. If you do not send an ack for a number of messages the powermax assumes the powerlink is gone and throws an error.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

It looks like the CER is also commercially using our protocol.
Lijkt erop dat de CER ons visonic protocol commercieel gebruikt!
http://www.cer.nl/download/fcopt310.pdf
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

CER, isn't that the company owned by one of the members of this forum?
What a coincidence.... ha ha. Not funny for those who have put a LOT of time in this.
A little bit of easy money is being made here, based on hard work by others? The least he could do is make sure the right persons get credit for this! This is not right.

Just like it didn't feel right some years ago, when I was offered a prototype of one of their other products and I made clear that I would only publish my own opinion/experience - no censorship. Result: no reply...
RDNZL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

xaRe: Visonic Powerlink RS232 Hack

Post by RDNZL »

Welcome in the real world, this happens all the time, ask Bert from RFXCom, Bruce Winter from Misterhouse (Xanura HCB) and many others.
Same if you publish your home automation software as open-source, bad guys try to run away with it, I speak from experience.
Don't get me wrong, I on your side ;-)
Regards, Ron.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

I know you are and you are right! :-)
utz
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by utz »

The information has been made public and so people can use it. Generally I do not see anything wrong with it. However, it would be nice if it is not just one way, users should contribute their findings to make it easier for everyone to use. CER might also want to think about license implications (depending on the country it might be necessary to involve Visonic).
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

agree, its the 1 way we are talking about!

Return to “Visonic Alarm systems”