Individual Room Control ELV the MAX!

Forum about the home automation suites by ELV etc

Moderator: jrkalf

Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Individual Room Control ELV the MAX!

Post by Digit »

Cool 8)
Thanks for sharing the result of your (undoubtedly) hard work :)
blb

Post by blb »

it took 'some' :D hours indeed
Bernard
phant0m
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by phant0m »

I realize that some valuable information might be missing from the ELV Max! : the temperature detected (and not requested) at each radiator.
Some might say that you can live without it (the final usage of all this is to control heating not monitoring) but I am a bit puzzled.

This may be hidden somewhere in the web interface (I speak French and English only, so I can hardly tell), or in additional metadata information in the protocol...

I was thinking about removing my Oregon/RFXCOM temperature monitoring, but it seems that it will last a bit longer...
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

I've read somewhere that this information (measured/detected temperature) is not available, but I don't know where I read it anymore; I'll try to find out where I did.
phant0m
Starting Member
Starting Member

New ELV Max! item

Post by phant0m »

If you did not notice, a wall thermostat seems to be available :
elv.de/MAX!-Wandthermostat/x.aspx/cid_7 ... ch_/marke_
99107_w01_max_wandtherm.jpg
99107_w01_max_wandtherm.jpg (8.41 KiB) Viewed 32313 times
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Nice, Elv keeps on developing for the MAX!
I dont see any advatages for me right now regarding this MAX thermostat.
This does all what my software also does, controlling the valvues etc.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

I did see it, but it's not available yet although it has been in the shop from day 1 IIRC.
I don't think I'm going to use it.
jrkalf

Post by jrkalf »

Bwired wrote:Nice, Elv keeps on developing for the MAX!
Pieter,

I guess I'm a guy having lesser faith in software... I'd say the thermostat is a great addon for when the software fails... It lets the system continue autonomously without dependingon a computer program.
Although having said this, in your case the boilersystem is also software triggered hence if the software fails and a thermostat would direct the actuators to open up for heating the room it wouldn't lead to a warmer room.

I love district heating, always available at around 6-8bar of steaming hot water :-).

Nice to see the Max! Is getting a proper stripping of it's protocol and implementation into some software... I hope the HS software is able to activate the boiler system as well for the Max! System. I haven't seen any link between Max! and any boiler system. Is there even such a device?
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem!

Fibaro HC2, various z-wave switching, alerting, detection modules.
ELV FHT80b heating system.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

This may be hidden somewhere in the web interface
Here's some more info about set- vs. measured temperature.
http://www.elv.de/output/controller.asp ... etail2=193
It's in German, sorry :)

Bottom line seems to be that the room temperature can only be seen when you have a wall thermostat:
"Eine Übermittlung der IST-Temperatur erfolgt nicht."
translates to
"A transfer of the actual temperature does not occur."
So the measured temperature just ain't there, with only Radiator Thermostats.
blb

Post by blb »

Hi jrkalf,

I'm writing a script for integrating the Max! stuff in HS. I have also written a script which integrates my HVAC in HS, see domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=47& ... =opentherm. It should be possible to integrate both a bit, e.g. to have a higher setpoint to the boiler if the MAX! Thermostats needs more 'power'.
Last edited by blb on Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernard
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

jrkalf wrote:Is there even such a device?
You know there isn't (oops...). Everybody who has spent >5 minutes on reading about the MAX system knows that.
When I look back on the trouble I've had with Domotica in the past years, it has always been caused by some "plug&play" hardware that was bought; not by my own software nor by homemade hardware.

And you're right, autonomy is a great thing. In fact, I blogged about that earlier this evening!

But I look at things a bit different. If my system would completely fail, I will still have an autonomous system to control my central heating, which knows nothing about any Radiator Thermostat. And for the Radiator Thermostats I intend to use? OK, if my system fails I'm thrown back to turning the radiator knobs, just like I did before. Not such a big deal; it will behave and be controlled just like before, until the system is up and running again (or a replacement for the failing central heating controller has arrived). So actually, we're in the same boat? (I don't know your setup :?: )
jrkalf

Post by jrkalf »

I was unaware of your blog, but indeed it's important to have things run autonomously.

I like the Q3/Contronics/Elv/Conrad Max! System and love to see where it goes, but I chose for Q3/Contronics/Elv/Conrad FHT just before the Max! System got released. It does nearly the same as the Max! system, but has some extra features I think I already mentioned at the start of this blog.

The FHT system uses 1 thermostat per room and controls the actuator on the radiator in that room and controls the window sensors. If a window sensor is triggered, the thermostat is automagically set to 12 degrees celcius as I don't intend to heat the outside world. Also all FHT thermostats send a signal to my central FHT8w boiler switch. Although I use district heating I have an electric valve on my main inlet to control the water flow. I want to be sure it does flow whenever I don't require heating.

But the boiler switch can be used for any type of heating system. It uses a switching relay just like oldfashioned thermostats do. For the dutchies, the wellknown blue & red wire.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem!

Fibaro HC2, various z-wave switching, alerting, detection modules.
ELV FHT80b heating system.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

jrkalf wrote:
Bwired wrote:Nice, Elv keeps on developing for the MAX!
Pieter,

I guess I'm a guy having lesser faith in software... I'd say the thermostat is a great addon for when the software fails... It lets the system continue autonomously without dependingon a computer program.
Although having said this, in your case the boilersystem is also software triggered hence if the software fails and a thermostat would direct the actuators to open up for heating the room it wouldn't lead to a warmer room.

I love district heating, always available at around 6-8bar of steaming hot water :-).

Nice to see the Max! Is getting a proper stripping of it's protocol and implementation into some software... I hope the HS software is able to activate the boiler system as well for the Max! System. I haven't seen any link between Max! and any boiler system. Is there even such a device?
Its again another device on the wall :(
thats not acceptable for us, who are using special touchpanels like Pronto, Asus, Ipad to control our compete home automation.
My hvac is controlled by IP thermostat
the MAX (thermostat) is not that solid also (there is software in there), still lots of problems with the standard shedule (ask Digit :)) We are writing our own shedule now.....
also its wireless on 868, so how you are not completely sure if everything goes right :wink:
ruszomir
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by ruszomir »

blb wrote:Hi jrkalf,

I'm writing a script for integrating the Max! stuff in HS. I have also written a script which integrates my HVAC in HS, see domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=47& ... =opentherm. It should be possible to integrate both a bit, e.g. to have a higher setpoint to the boiler if the MAX! Thermostats needs more 'power'.
hello Bernard,

maybe little off-topic, but what hardware are you using to run homeseer and what to connect to ELV Max?

I'm just about to buy a set of ELV MAX but I need to control boiler (on/off) with it.
I thought that I can spend some money on homeseer, but I need to know if that's possible with homeseer

Greetz.
blb

Post by blb »

ruszomir,

that's indeed 'a bit' off-topic. You can find info about communication with ELV Max in this topic, information about (hardware) for Homeseer on the homeseer website and in the homeseer topic(s) on this forum. In general, Homeseer runs on all recent windows versions and because the server will run 24h/day you need a hardware with (very) low-power consumption.
Bernard

Return to “Homematic, FS20, FHT, ESA and ELV”