Gamba ubunto Xwindow problem

Forum about Domotiga Open Source Home Automation for Linux.

Moderator: RDNZL

mrqnapper

Gamba ubunto Xwindow problem

Post by mrqnapper »

Hi,

I decided to install Domotiga on my new MiniMacserver. I use Parallels and created an ubunto "server version" installation. This seems to work fine. I can acces this by shh. Then I started installing Gambas. I used the Gabas installation intructions and the one on the Domotiga site. In the end i managed to get Gambas latest version installed. The next step, starting Gambas. Than a problem apeared. It says: gambas2: cannot connect to X server .
I tried to look for an solution but did not realy find something.

Also tried telnet 127.0.0.1 6000
wwolkers

Re: Gamba ubunto Xwindow problem

Post by wwolkers »

Gambas requires Xwindows, which is not installed by default on Ubuntu server, and won't work over ssh, since it's a graphical interface.
You need to install and configure X11, and run gambas on the console or through Nomachine NX or something alike.
mrqnapper

Post by mrqnapper »

Ok thanks for your quick reply. I was already afraid it would be something like that.

Since it took me already a lot of time installing and tweaking the Ubuntu server version, I like to stay with that if possible. So i tried to install X11 through apt-get install X11 but it was not available as a service? Does this come with a other name? Or is this service only available for serverversion with console?
Than it might be better having an Ubuntu version with console?

Which version of Nomachine NX do i need for Ubuntu natty? How does this work? I install NX on the Ubuntu server and have a client set up in my Mac(book-pro)?
And is this also a workable solution when i want to control later on through iPhone? Or is this just needed for getting Domitiga running and is it never used for configuring Domotiga?

Thanks
wwolkers

Post by wwolkers »

check https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ServerGUI for X11 installation on ubuntu server.

as for NX, yes, you install the server on your server, and the mac client on your macbook.

for iPhone you'd need a web interface, and currently the web interface of Domotiga is not as full featured as the client program.
mrqnapper

Post by mrqnapper »

I managed to install all the needed stuff for running DomotiGa.gambas :) No I am able to start the program with the sample database. I use Screensharing which is available from the MacBook, works very nice (although the Ubuntu running in the VM remains a litle bit slow on mouse movement.) Also had to use Virtualbox (free) instead of Parallels desktop6 (Which is almost the same but i had to pay for it) since I could not get ubuntu working very well in Paralells.

Next step is getting my RFXCOM LAN tranceiver connected. Would be nice have already some lights go on / and off as a first start. My first goal is have some kind of event scheme running for the upcomming hollydays. So lights on when its getting dark, have them off at bedtime, but not all of them. Also have it a bit different each day, so not everyday the same lights on, etc. Is there a sample for this or a Howto?

I also would be very pleased with some more instruction on how to set al the options within DomotiGa. Is there a manual or howto available? Could not find it here or on the Domotiga Website? Thanks.
walberg

Post by walberg »

I have installed Domotiga as in http://domotiga.nl/projects/domotiga/wi ... ion#Gambas
Also istalled x11, openbox and Gnome-desktop-environment as mentiont above because SSL doesnt start gambas

If would like start Domotiga Server on startup :

Modify /etc/rc.local and add :

/[path to domotiga]/DomotiGaServer3.gambas

No way, i tried to load it in nano but when i write (control o) file exist (of course) and access denied, (privilege).
How to start Domotiga? the normal way? not as server? And how to start it when power has been off and on?
How do i get the sample database?
walberg

Post by walberg »

i tried:

cd ~/domotiga
./DomotiGa3.gambas

gambas3: cannot connect to X server
uAlex73

Post by uAlex73 »

The DomotiGa3.gambas will only work on a X-window (desktop).

The DomotiGaServer3.gambas is required, if you only have command line ... For start-up scripts, look under ~/domotiga/tools and at the domotigaserver3.debian script.
DomotiGa / Z-Wave / RFXCom / Visonic PowerMaster / Home Assistant / Zigbee2MQTT / DSMR Reader / Toon1 (rooted)

Return to “DomotiGa Forum”