Fibaro universal sensor and doorbell

Forum all about Z-Wave Fibaro
pleaseask

Re: Fibaro universal sensor and doorbell

Post by pleaseask »

Connect your existing Doorbell to your home automation environment.

I have chosen to use the Universal binary sensor from Fibaro .

The first “problem” that I encountered was that the current of the Doorbell is 8 volt Alternating (AC) current. So I had to change the current to direct (DC) current.
Second “problem” the doorbell couldn’t directly connect to the Universal binary sensor.

After visiting some other Domotica websites I found the solution for my two problems.

The first problem is solved by a “bridged rectifier”.
The second problem is solved by a relay.

So here is what I have done to get it all to work….

Things that you need:
- Fibaro Universal Binary Sensor
- Relay 6VDC
- Bridge rectifier B40 (Diotec)
- Universal power adapter (9VDC)
- Some wire
- A plastic box to put everything in.

Connect one side of a wire to the “bell” and the other side to the Bridge Rectifier.
On the Bridge rectifier is a marking stating where you can connect the alternating current from the bell. Markings are two ~ signs.
The other two markings: location of the direct current output of the bridge rectifier. ( + and – signs). These connections are connected to the relay.

The Universal Binary Sensor is connected to “switch part” of the relay.
I have chosen for the “always closed” state of the relay. This gives in Vera a nice green icon. When the pushbutton is pressed, the icon will turn red and when the pushbutton is released it will turn green again .

Connect the red wire to the plus of the power supply.
Connect the ground wire (blue) to the min of the power supply.

See drawing to simplify:
plaatje
plaatje
Capture.JPG (40.63 KiB) Viewed 12845 times
Homeseer 3 Pro on Windows 10 / Zwave

Edwin.
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I don`t think the drawing is complete because i`m missing the powersource for the doorbell. Another thing i noticed is that you are using 9v powersource for a 6v relay. I think the relay won`t last long in that way.

Note: When i replaced my doorbell i chose an version which is both battery powered and fixed power. If the unit is battery powered it will also be a DC version and not AC :D
Note2: My Univseral sensor is not notifying my HomeSeer, do you need to poll the sensor or is it sending updates ?
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
pleaseask

Post by pleaseask »

raymonvdm wrote:I don`t think the drawing is complete because i`m missing the powersource for the doorbell. Another thing i noticed is that you are using 9v powersource for a 6v relay. I think the relay won`t last long in that way.

Note: When i replaced my doorbell i chose an version which is both battery powered and fixed power. If the unit is battery powered it will also be a DC version and not AC :D
Note2: My Univseral sensor is not notifying my HomeSeer, do you need to poll the sensor or is it sending updates ?
Thanks for mentioning the drawing defect. :D, the powersource is 8V AC.
The coilvoltage of the relay has a maximum of 8v DC and the coil is connected to the "Bell". With the Bridge rectifier the outgoing voltage should be between 8v and 6v.
So i think that the relay should last. But time will tell. :)

My Veralite is polling the sensor every 60 secs.( default setting)

Edwin.
pleaseask

Post by pleaseask »

The doorbell is stll working.
With the automater app i get pushmessages to my iPhone and iPad.
Still very happy with the solution. :D

Edwin.
Irritanterik

Post by Irritanterik »

pleaseask wrote:My Veralite is polling the sensor every 60 secs.( default setting)
Is polling necessary? Do you get a realtime trigger when a visitor presses the doorbell?
Is it also possible to trigger the doorbell from your controller on other events? (example: backyard door sensor)
HP t5630w with Homeseer 2 > Will migrate to Homey | RFXLAN | IRTrans | Opentherm Gateway | ITHO ECO-FAN integration | Harrison Curtain | Z-wave
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

You need to poll the device if it is not sending updates. HS2 needs to poll HS3 does not with some users.
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
pleaseask

Post by pleaseask »

Irritanterik wrote:
pleaseask wrote:My Veralite is polling the sensor every 60 secs.( default setting)
Is polling necessary? Do you get a realtime trigger when a visitor presses the doorbell?
Is it also possible to trigger the doorbell from your controller on other events? (example: backyard door sensor)
Yes i get a realtime trigger when a visitor presses the doorbell.

No it is not possible to trigger the doorbell from my controller or other events.

Edwin.
bartbakels
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by bartbakels »

Gents,

follow the posts at domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=79&amp ... +universal

associations need to have endpoints and par 5 and 6 need to be generic alarm.

In addition, probably good to excluded/reset first, had some issues with including in the past. Devices should be visible as (without connected temp sensors):

board.homeseer.com/showpost.php?p=11199 ... tcount=131

Mine are working now for almost a year without issues, got 2 of them.

Bart
Software: HS3, HStouch, Plugwise , BLBackup, BLLatestImage, Zwave, JowiHUE, PHlocation, Netcam, Harmony Plugin, ThinkingCleaner, HSPhone, Eneco Toon Script, Pushover, Visonic Powermax LV Interface

(ON ESXI )on NUC

Return to “Fibaro”